Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help fixing machine applique >

Help fixing machine applique

Help fixing machine applique

Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 PM

Default Help fixing machine applique

Let me start by saying I have completed many applique quilts and this is the first time this has happened. I blanket stitched through top only around wonder under fused pieces. I then quilted, bound and washed quilt. When I took out fabric around a few parts have frayed. Only variable different this time is that I used wonder under instead of heat n bond lite because las changed. What can I do to fix this as it's backed and bound with soft n cuddly and it will take forever to rip out and baby shower is this weekend. Do you think adding a bit of heat n bond refusing and re appliquéing with a satin stitch would work?

I'm so mad right now!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Can you carefully press without damaging the backing to re-glue with the existing fusible? And then very slowly do a satin stitch around them? If you use thread the same colour as your backing in the bobbin, it should look okay.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Can you carefully press without damaging the backing to re-glue with the existing fusible? And then very slowly do a satin stitch around them? If you use thread the same colour as your backing in the bobbin, it should look okay.
I agree and might hand applique something that would keep with the theme of the quilt top over the repaired area on the back; maybe a flower or a teddy bear or truck
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 AM

I would trim away the loose threads and give the quilt at the shower. At the end of the shower, or after it was received by the momma to be, I would ask that I be allowed to take it and "fix it". I would then use a hand satin stitch so that the quilting wouldn't be messed up. It will take time, but you could present it at the hospital when the baby is born.

If I'm giving a quilt as a baby gift, I usually ask for the quilt until the baby is born so I can put the babies name, etc on the quilt label No one has ever been unhappy with my request.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Can you stitch over it with satin stitch? You could try it through the sandwich but the machine might not like the bulk. Try it on a quilt sample first and see if you like the look. I might try hand stitching an appliqué bias strip around the shapes if the design allows for that.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM

A picture would of helped, but could you enlarge the appliqué slightly and than reapply it? You would have to randomly enlarge another one or two also.