Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP   Flannel Questions >

HELP Flannel Questions

HELP Flannel Questions

Old 11-18-2014, 05:39 AM

Default try this trick

I use a disposable razor to "shave" my sweaters that have pilled. No danger of cutting & can throw away after use. I've used this method on kitchen rugs, too.

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello Everyone, I just made a queen sized flannel rag quilt for my grandson's 3rd bday. He just got his first big boy bed and his mom wanted it bigger so he would have it for years. LOL I took it to the laundromat yesterday to give it the first washing and drying so it would rag out. LOL It didn't rag as much as I wanted, but I have a problem, It is totally full of little lintys. How do I get all those fuzzies off it front and back so it looks new again before I send it to him. I don't want him to think Grandma sent him a used linty blanket. I sat for over an hour with an old lint brush, but it didn't do so great. I tried to back roll packing tape and dob it all over. OMG this is a nightmare and now, I have 2 more grandchildren that want one of Grandma's soft warm raggedy quilts. LOL I used dryer sheets in dryer in hopes that would help, I changed lint trap every 10 mins but really not much in it later on. The quilt turned out beautiful for him and I love it but need those lintys gone. Any suggestions or do I just have to sit and pick them off forever?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:56 AM

Hi Shayarene, first you will need a battery powered fuzz eater (like for sweaters - or I use a bic shaver - don't push down). Second part of the reason it didn't "rag out", I found that I needed a second quilt in the washer and dryer. Then I found I could use an OLD (you'll never be able to use for anything but rag quilting again), towel or two. I would put the towels and the quilt in and wash and dry (it's the action of rubbing against other items that helps the flannel to rag more). Also remember the more this quilt is washed, the more it will rag.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
I have used flannel to make a lot of quilts. The poor quality flannel will pill, nothing can be done about it. It is best to use high quality flannel, costs more but worth it.
Sorry to say, that was my first thought. There are flannels for children's PJ and then there is quilters flannel. My second thought, instead of spending hours trying to get those little buggers off, I'd run it thru the laundry mat again. And see if that helps. Make sure the Mom knows it has to go to the laundry and not home wash.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 AM

I just had to respond to this. I bought flannel at my local quilt shop(paid a little more than what I wanted to spend for it) and made a beautiful rag quilt for my Grandson. I decided to make one for the other grandkids and went to JoAnns and bought cheaper flannel and not as costly. Well...I had the same problem you did with the cheaper flannel...PILLS!! After much research and investigation, I found out that there are different grades of flannel and it pays to buy the better stuff at your LQS. It also helps to quilt or embroider in each square of the quilt. You can just sew an X if you want. This little bit of stitching helps keep the flannel from pilling when it is agitated in the washer. Buy the best flannel you can afford. It is usually a heavy weight and most LQS carry the better fabric. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I did take this quilt to a laundromat and like someone mentioned, the dryer didn't have a lint trap for me to clean. Then when I got home, I shoved it into my dryer with a couple dryer sheets, that helped a little bit. I will stop on my way home today and buy a couple lint brushes. I will try that first and then maybe save up for a defuzzer LOL Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the great info. I read online somewhere at one time to put vinegar in the wash and it won't catch lint, but I can't remember where I read it or how much vinegar to use. :-) Have a fantastic day everyone. Rachel

Lint ROLLERS are more effective than lint BRUSHES, IMO!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by citygirlsews View Post
I just had to respond to this. I bought flannel at my local quilt shop(paid a little more than what I wanted to spend for it) and made a beautiful rag quilt for my Grandson. I decided to make one for the other grandkids and went to JoAnns and bought cheaper flannel and not as costly. Well...I had the same problem you did with the cheaper flannel...PILLS!! After much research and investigation, I found out that there are different grades of flannel and it pays to buy the better stuff at your LQS. It also helps to quilt or embroider in each square of the quilt. You can just sew an X if you want. This little bit of stitching helps keep the flannel from pilling when it is agitated in the washer. Buy the best flannel you can afford. It is usually a heavy weight and most LQS carry the better fabric. Hope this helps.
JoAnn's sells several grades of flannel. Look around.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lucy90 View Post
I always wash the rag quilt at least 3 times. I dry it after each washing. One washing does not rag it enough.
Agreed-----------I do two washing/dryings at least.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:06 AM

Have you tried using net scrubbies on the quilt. Sometimes the scrubbies, which are rough nylon netting, pull off the pills. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:07 AM

Default Vacuum Cleaner

Try spreading the quilt on the floor and running the vacuum cleaner over it. I have done this to get cat hair off of quilts. I have my husbands help. He stands on the edges. A cat slicker brush might also help rake up the fuzzies.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Thank you everyone for all the fantastic advice. This was my first quilt and it is kind of big for a 3 yr old little boy, but I made a mistake in my planning, but I figure now he can use it longer LOL I planned it on paper, his mom said he just got his first big boy bed and it was twin but she would like it full/dbl sized so it would hang over the bed some. Then when I went to cut my squares, I kept thinking it was such cute prints so I thought, I will just make the squares an inch bigger on each side. HMM duh, ok but then I forgot to deduct a row off top and sides to make up for this increase, so I started sewing rows and then putting them together and I thought, this blanket is getting kind of BIG. LOL SO it became a Queen size. For the linty's and pill balls, LOL I tried to use a lint roller, but it didn't work so good so I got a roll of packing tape and dabbed it all night until like 1:30 in the morning but I got it done. I don't know how to put pics on here or if I am even allowed to put them here? So I will go to the picture section and see if I can put them there It's far from perfect, but it's my first quilt so I am proud