Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with flannel quilt >

Help with flannel quilt

Help with flannel quilt

Old 04-11-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Originally Posted by jmabby
Did you take any photos, would like to see them. I like the idea of using the boys pajamas to make a quilt
Two of the quilts were much the same, so only posting two. We didn't tell the boys and when we gave them the quilts, they recognized some of the flannel, and were very pleased that their mother had thought to do that for them.
your flannel quilts are great. I did old blue jean quilts for my sons and grand sons. They loved them. used flannel backing(pre washed) no batting heavy enough with out. They wear like iron.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Thanks y'all, I'll use the unwashed flannel for the back, seems to be what everyone here would do. :)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 PM

If you are using flannel from old PJs, wouldn't the fabric have been washed while they were being used? I'm confused. Was the flannel made up of unworn PJs? That would make a difference in what to do with the backing.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Purplemem. good for you , I need to lose at least 50. Once the eye surgery is done and healed I have to start my walking again
that's how I lost before then stopped walking and it came right back.. eating didn't change just sitting on my back side did it.. :thumbdown:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by wtxpeach
If you are using flannel from old PJs, wouldn't the fabric have been washed while they were being used? I'm confused. Was the flannel made up of unworn PJs? That would make a difference in what to do with the backing.
Your question, wouldn't the fabric have been washed? - in response - these flannel items were saved since the boys were born, right up until they were in their late teens, who knows how or where they were stored for 17-18 years, I wasn't about to work with the material until I was assured they were washed by me.??? Am I confused now???
Old 04-14-2011, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

DO NOT WASH YOUR TOP BEFORE QUILTING AND BINDING!!! you will have a horrible un-usable mess.

you can use flannel or regular cottons for the back- the shrinkage is going to be minimal since you recycled fabrics that have been washed many times already. the batting you use and the density of the quilting will dictate the shrinkage of the finished project
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM

The fabric I used was what was leftover after cutting the pj pattern out of the fabric, not the actual pj's. So it wasn't washed first because it was before I started quilting and didn't think to wash it first. I still haven't bought the backing fabric, but when I get it finished I'll post pictures. :)
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Your question, wouldn't the fabric have been washed? - in response - these flannel items were saved since the boys were born, right up until they were in their late teens, who knows how or where they were stored for 17-18 years, I wasn't about to work with the material until I was assured they were washed by me.??? Am I confused now???
I'm assuming it was meant for my initial post and no the fabric wasn't washed first. :)