Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Free Motion Quilting >

Help with Free Motion Quilting

Help with Free Motion Quilting

Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

I asked my Bernina dealer before using 505 spray and she said just clean my machine more often.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
what is the sensormatic function?
On the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 there is a sensormatic free motion function. You go to settings, engage the sensormatic option put on the special foot that comes with the machine and change the pivot height to -2 or -3, lower the feed dogs and it is ready to use for free motion quilting. This machine also has a spring foot that you need to buy and if you were going to use that, then you would choose that option in settings. My dealer said the sensormatic was better. It works really well for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the tips JanieW.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM

I have a Janome and I've spray basted 22 quilts (with 505) and never a problem with fmq. Are you having trouble with straight stitch too? I'm wondering if they're just taking the easy way out and blaming it on the spray.

What brand did you use? I did have trouble once when I used an off brand, but as soon as I cleaned the needle, all was well.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
On the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 there is a sensormatic free motion function. You go to settings, engage the sensormatic option put on the special foot that comes with the machine and change the pivot height to -2 or -3, lower the feed dogs and it is ready to use for free motion quilting. This machine also has a spring foot that you need to buy and if you were going to use that, then you would choose that option in settings. My dealer said the sensormatic was better. It works really well for me.
thanks. but does that mean that it is like the bernina bsr?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 AM

I spray baste all the time and have never had a problem.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM

I just had my new QE 4, bought in November replaced with another one. I couldn't get it to FMQ at all - bobbin breaking and skipping stitches on the back (could FMQ 'perfectly' (lol) on my Janome).

Whilst it was in the shop I did a lot of net surfing and was surprised at how common this problem is. A lady in my group cannot FMQ on hers at all - same problem I had.

The new one is great! I like the the Sensormatic so much I haven't even tried the spring/darning foot.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by labug View Post
I use spray basting all the time and never had a problem. I think there is something causing the problem
Same here!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Same here--never a problem! But if your thread is breaking a lot, maybe you have a burr on the needle plate or the bobbin case?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Rose - thanks for that link. I have a Janome 6600 and have quilted several quilts on it. On my current project I keep getting skipped stitches. Driving me crazy - this chart gave me some things that may be the problem - I tihink it's the foot is not tight enough to the fabric. Hope so - I'll try it when I get home.

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
Go to http://www.delawaresewing.com/dsc/tr...achprobweb.htm--it has a list of problems and solutions. You might find help there.