Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help  Grand daughter is making baby quilt for friend..Shower is Sunday. >

Help Grand daughter is making baby quilt for friend..Shower is Sunday.

Help Grand daughter is making baby quilt for friend..Shower is Sunday.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM

Default Help Grand daughter is making baby quilt for friend..Shower is Sunday.

Need idea for needle. Has top pieced (cotton) binding is cotton and backing Minkee,,,Not my favorite to work with. Should she use ball point or sharp to sew binding on? She is a first time quilter. She will be tying the quilt not machine quilting due to being a "newbe" and time frame. Nothing like waiting till the last minute...Not like any of us would do that. LOL Thanks for help. She will be here in an hour The shower is this Sunday!

Last edited by carolstickelmaier; 03-01-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Addition of words
Old 03-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I havn't sewn minkee, try a ballpoint and see how it goes, if not, switch over to a sharp.
why sew on binding, just birth it if she's tying it?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I havn't sewn minkee, try a ballpoint and see how it goes, if not, switch over to a sharp.
why sew on binding, just birth it if she's tying it?
Thanks Lynnie. Was hoping for experience in problem but those were my thoughts also. Machine sew on front or back ? I am terrible at birthing especially with stretchy fabric. Plan on having her spray baste thinking that will help her keep fabrics smoother and without many tucks on back. If we attempt birthing would you spray baste batting to Minkee or pieced top?

Last edited by carolstickelmaier; 03-01-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: further questions
Old 03-01-2016, 04:15 PM

You do not need batting with a Minkee back. There will be enough warmth from the Minkee.

If you make the back a bit big, and birth it, you can sew around the edge and have a faux Minkee binding.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:35 PM

If she is birthing it, tying might be redundant. I'd be a bit concerned about the ties with a newborn. I definitely wouldn't use yarn because of the choking hazard (even with older children). If she really feels the need to tie it, I'd go with short strands of floss.

I've made newborn blankets using solid cotton on one side, minkee backing and pre-packaged satin bias tape sewn on with a zig-zag stitch. I didn't know any better & used a universal needle back then. It worked great. Minkee is already plenty warm so I wouldn't recommend adding additional batting.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:56 PM

Nothing to add, but I have to share a laugh I had. When I viewed this thread in the list of threads, the only thing that showed up were the words "Help Grand Daughter is making baby". I thought ... well how the heck can I help her with that?!?!?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:52 PM

Birthing the quilt and then making a false border. May give enough to let her machine straight lines instead of tying which may become a problem as the child grows.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:57 PM

First thanks for the laugh /Doghousemom. Then thanks for all your help to everyone. We decided to use polyester batting 'cause she wants it for floor use. Then we are machine tying it with the ilet (sp) design on my machine. Working out so far. Then I left my old needle (sharp) in and no problems so far. We did not birth it and no tucks (used spray baste). Down and dirty....simple and quick. I think she will make it.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:43 AM

Looks like you have it covered! I used Minkie one time...sewed it with the needle that was in the machine....no problem! My quilt had batting it it. Will never do that again!!!
Old 03-03-2016, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
Need idea for needle. Has top pieced (cotton) binding is cotton and backing Minkee,,,Not my favorite to work with. Should she use ball point or sharp to sew binding on? She is a first time quilter. She will be tying the quilt not machine quilting due to being a "newbe" and time frame. Nothing like waiting till the last minute...Not like any of us would do that. LOL Thanks for help. She will be here in an hour The shower is this Sunday!
My first Minkee backing, I hand quilted what I wanted to show with just the front and the flannel center. Then I stitched in the ditch to attach the backing. I just used the needle on the machine. Didn't think about needing to change. I had practiced on a few pieces & knew what I wanted to do would work.