Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! How Do I Use Retayne With The New HE Washers? >

Help! How Do I Use Retayne With The New HE Washers?

Help! How Do I Use Retayne With The New HE Washers?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Default Help! How Do I Use Retayne With The New HE Washers?

I keep forgetting that my new HE washer has to be treated differently than other washer styles. The new washers do not fill up with water like the traditional ones did. Normally, I just add vinegar to the wash to set the colors, but batiks bleed so much easier so I wanted to use Retayne. Retayne instructions read,

"Estimate amount of water needed to cover cotton fabric. Fill Machine to this level with HOT (140*) water. Add 1 teaspoon Retayne per yard of cotton fabric. Add dry cotton fabric. Set machine for a 20 minute wash. Use cool water during rinse cycle and dry at once."

How would you proceed since the water does not fill up? Since it doesn't fill up, I can't just add the dry cotton to the treated water. Have any of you used Retayne with the new washers?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM

I use Retayne on the stove , that way I can make sure the water is really 140 degrees ( the mimium temp for Retayne to work). I have a old stainless Revere ware pot I use just for this purpose. Its important to keep the fabric moving in the solution for best results, a bit of a pain... but I would rather have the pain prior to making the quilt , than after disaster strikes.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

You should not use Retayne in a front-loading HE washer; it does not fill up with enough water. Some people do fabric by hand in a large sink. If tap water is not hot enough, you can add boiling water. It's essential to have sufficient hot water for the Retayne process to work.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM

this is good to know. I have a couple of yards of red fabric that i tested with a wet paper towel and it bled ALOT! i was thinking of getting Retayne to set the color, but i also have a front load washer.. i guess i could try the sink.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM

A few years back Retayne had a message on it stating not available in Calif. because of known carciogenics, I found this short article, not an alarmist, but just wanting to explain why I would never chose to purchase it again. http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyeblog...707/index.html
Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM

My washer is a top loader, but it still doesn't fill up. DH is being too sweet and doing the fabric on the stove for me. I had a "surgical procedure" this a.m. so I'm lying down, trying to sit still.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM

I've been thinking about how to do it, and I'm glad you guys are giving hints.. I don't think I have a pot big enough.. I'm just wondering if I can use the kitchen sink.. I have a deep sink that might do it, but am frid of ruining the stainless steel finish..
Barri
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM

I think it would be fine to do it in the sink, as long as you rinse the sink out with bleach afterwards, considering the formaldehyde content. I'm using my biggest stainless steel stockpot and then washing it with bleach after all the fabric is out of the pot. I'm also going to rinse the fabric one last time in a hot water cycle in the washer. That way, if there's anything left on the fabric, it can be rinsed off afterwards.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

I don't think I would use a metal pot, but maybe boil the water, then put into a plastic wash tub and add the retayne, check the temp and add the fabric!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

why do people keep buying those washers and dryers? i keep hearing they are nothing but trouble. mildew or mold, etc. I certainly hope they keep on making the top load ones if i ever need new ones.