Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP How would you quilt this ??? >

HELP How would you quilt this ???

HELP How would you quilt this ???

Old 11-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Default HELP How would you quilt this ???

I saw this table runner in a magazine I borrowed from a friend. It was called Afternoon on a Porch. I made some minor changes because I didn't want to have to match up so many seams if you made each section as a block (written instructions). I have had this Candy cane fabric from JAF (been on the shelf for years). When I saw this pattern, the bells and whistle went off. I shrunk the pattern down in order to make a table runner. I thought I would use a smooth S curve stitch on my Bernina 1530 rather than a straight stitch. But after trying 6 of the possible stitches, nothing looked like I had imaged. So, I am looking for some easy quilting ideas. No feathers please. I am disable and those are difficult with the lack of proper motor skills. Thanks for any suggestions you toss my way !!

This picture shows the front and the back. The runner has been pin basted and is ready to be quilted !!
Attached Thumbnails candy-cane.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM

That is certainly a bright and cheery table runner! I'm a novice at quilting myself so really can't offer any good suggestions for you. Good luck - I'm sure someone on the board will be able to give you some guidance.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 PM

How about a curving string of holly leaves with maybe a circle or two at the stem for berries? You could do that in both of the color areas.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

What about simple cross hatch? Maybe using white thread or something that would show nicely.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

How about echoing the pattern in the piecing? Sew straight lines in a triangle fashion just hitting the tips of the square corners down the colours. Then add several more echo lines at intervals.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Follow the flow of the piecing. So a row of feathers or holly, like a previous poster suggested, in the red and one in the red/white. I had a similar donation quilt and I did feathers. The quilt I did had one row white and one row floral. I quilted purple in the white row. I could see white Holly in the red rows and red in the white/red rows. this is a very nice quilt with a classic feel.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MamaBear61 View Post
What about simple cross hatch? Maybe using white thread or something that would show nicely.
That was my thought too. That way you could use the walking foot and just keep it straight. It will be beautiful no matter what you decide.