Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I Can't Bring Myself To Throw These Away! I Just CAN'T! >

Help! I Can't Bring Myself To Throw These Away! I Just CAN'T!

Help! I Can't Bring Myself To Throw These Away! I Just CAN'T!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
I would get a cool glass jar with a lid and put the fun wooden spools in it as a display. The rayons should be fine, I'm thinking, but I really don't know. Are the varigated ones silk or what? Ya know, if you are worried about the strength of the thread, you can use it for thread painting on a wallhanging where the stitches don't have to stand up to the stress of constant washing.
Or use it for tasks such as basting. You have an awesome collection.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 AM

The wooden spools are collectible and sell for varying amounts dependent on seller, but don't throw them away or sell them, display them some way as a reminder of your grandmother.

The varigated spools, not the box top, look exactly like the DMC 60 wt. cotton varigated thread for machine embroidery. Check the spool ends for labels. If they are 60 wt then the thread will break easily, but they are wonderful for hand or machine applique. I love them for different projects because you don't have to worry about the iron melting your thread.

Silk is forever, I think Rayon too, again these are both great for either machine or hand applique.

I wish I had been lucky enough to receive such a wonderful gift.

Longarm
Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 AM

The way your grandmother learned sounds like the way my aunt taught me to quilt. For years a I thought that was the only way then along came the bicentennial in 1976 and the quilting revival. WOW!! Have we come a long way since then, I can't imagine going back to the old way with scissors, scraps and tying or hand quilting.

I taught some beginners a few years ago and one of them was a lady in her 80's who wanted to learn to quilt, she was using items that had been her mother's. Can't even begin to guess the age of some of that. The point is she was over 80 and still wanting to learn something new, maybe your grandmother needs something to inspire her.

longarm
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Longarm
The way your grandmother learned sounds like the way my aunt taught me to quilt. For years a I thought that was the only way then along came the bicentennial in 1976 and the quilting revival. WOW!! Have we come a long way since then, I can't imagine going back to the old way with scissors, scraps and tying or hand quilting.

I taught some beginners a few years ago and one of them was a lady in her 80's who wanted to learn to quilt, she was using items that had been her mother's. Can't even begin to guess the age of some of that. The point is she was over 80 and still wanting to learn something new, maybe your grandmother needs something to inspire her.

longarm
Thanks but I think the main reason she's setting it aside is that she's forgetting more and more of everything. There are days when we need to remind her of everyday routines. I think she just knows that taking on big projects would be more frustrating to her right now. The little projects get her emotional now.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
I would get a cool glass jar with a lid and put the fun wooden spools in it as a display. The rayons should be fine, I'm thinking, but I really don't know. Are the varigated ones silk or what? Ya know, if you are worried about the strength of the thread, you can use it for thread painting on a wallhanging where the stitches don't have to stand up to the stress of constant washing.
I agree with the glass jar. I have some old, old "pickle" jars with metal rather than plastic lids that would be perfect for that. So.....you can send them along to me if you get tired of them! Seriously, I agree with you that I just couldn't throw them away.

Someone else might have answered, but I'm wondering if those paper bobbins were disposable bobbins.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:14 PM

That box of variegated thread is very old.
Cartier Bresson had an "A La Croix" pattern book
(cross stitch) published in 1920.

It`s now in the public domain and available at the antique pattern library.
http://antiquepatterns.dreamhosters.com/CBALaCroix.pdf

It`s just beautiful! The box, the thread, all of it!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM

I am using thread that is at least 25 years old and have absolutely no problems with it. Thread companies want you to believe you need to buy new thread!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Oh those varigated threads are so beautiful. If you are looking to get rid of them I would be happy to take them off our hands. Just pm me if so.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM

I can't help but say the quilters here have some of the best ideas!!! It's so much fun to read through and see all the different suggestions. I love it here!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM

Tugging on the thread is a good test. Think about it. Quilts can be over 100 years old and still hold together. So....the thread in them is also 100 years old.
If it hasn't been exposed to dirt, sunlight, or moisture, the thread is probably just as good as new thread, and as in many things, the older products were of better quality to begin with. Use it!