Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I Can't Bring Myself To Throw These Away! I Just CAN'T! >

Help! I Can't Bring Myself To Throw These Away! I Just CAN'T!

Help! I Can't Bring Myself To Throw These Away! I Just CAN'T!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Swap Hosts

Lucky you! Aside from a couple of large sets of embroidery thread, virtually all my quilting/sewing thread is from estate sales. If you tug on it and it's good, use it!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 AM

I just read the whole thread, which I usually don't do! I have used old spools of thread, along with other small and misc. memorabilia such as thimbles and old buttons in an antique printer's tray which decorates my quilting room (read basement!) That's the little spools. The big ones are in an old wooden painted coke box. hum- I'll see if I can take a photo to share. Have been having some trouble with that, but mayb DH can help.

I do know that the lady at the LQS says thread should be kept covered, but I decided to ignore her for artistic reasons. If I were a more serious quilter, I would probably put it all in a covered container as recommended!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 AM

Does the thread break easily when you pull on it? If not, it should be good to go. I saw an adorable window treatment. Using the entire spool and large wooden beads, string them together to make "ornaments". Sew the top of each "ornament" to a valence and hang it in your sewing room window. Also, the little bobbins would look great in a glass jar lamp that you can fill with memorabilia. I have one on my kitchen counter but it's filled with kitty shaped pasta.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 AM

Tell your grandmother that she is not too old to quilt!!!!!!
Her exsperience is a treasure!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 AM

The paper pre-wound bobbins may have been from a factory. Years ago, when there were factory stores, you could buy the bobbins of thread they no longer needed. What a wonderful gift from your grandmother (?). Keep some of the things displayed. She'll be so delighted that you like her "stuff".
And tell her, I'm 70 and say - get back into the sewing saddle! You aren't old yet.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 AM

Keep the wooden spools , they are a collectors item and will be worth lots some day if not already.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Trouble is, most of these spools are old. A lot of the thread is rayon, mercerized or even silk. How old is too old for these types of threads? They're all so pretty and I just don't want to pass them on. There were also 3 bags of tiny paper bobbin type spools and I'm not sure what they were used for. Help! Please!
As someone else has mentioned, the silks will last forever (the source is animal, not plant). I use silk buttonhole twist from the 1940's as a hand stitching embellishment on wall quilts and it remains very strong almost 70 years later...just wish I could find more. Assuming yours is thinner, silk thread is almost lint free and most machines handle it well if you decide you'd like to use it.

edit: As for the "value" of wooden spools, it is a myth that they have any great value. They are a collectible in a narrow market and are worth only what someone is willing to pay at the time you are willing to sell. They are just not rare enough to be worth a lot. Check eBay for current prices.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Here's a fun idea for some of the wooden spools

http://www.sillypearl.com/2011/05/cr...den-spool.html
That is cute!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kas
I would get a cool glass jar with a lid and put the fun wooden spools in it as a display. The rayons should be fine, I'm thinking, but I really don't know. Are the varigated ones silk or what? Ya know, if you are worried about the strength of the thread, you can use it for thread painting on a wallhanging where the stitches don't have to stand up to the stress of constant washing.
Yeah!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
Keep the wooden spools , they are a collectors item and will be worth lots some day if not already.
Somebody offered me 50 cents a piece for mine. Didn't sell them though. They used to make little dolls out of them once upon a time. That would be neat!!!