Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help I dont understand! >

help I dont understand!

help I dont understand!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Could they possibly mean cut strips 3.5 inches width of fabric, then cut those strips 2,5 inches wide (selvedge to selvedge) so you have rectangles 3.5 x 2.5? I've never done one, and it was very confusing. You're probably right it was a translation done poorly.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdgenquilter
what does this mean.....
. The strips have to cut three and half inches in length of the fabric, from cut the strips 3.5 inches wide of the fabric

. Fabric with fold is to be faced towards you and then to be cut 2.5 inches strips of every fabric . Cut the fabric one at a time if you are a beginner.......I am not a beginner but this is sure making me feel like one .I thought this would be like a "short trip...I am confused by these insrtructions..can anyone help??

Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/art-and-...#ixzz16MAsQWPW
Under Creative Commons License: Attributionthis mean?????"""
At the bottom of this page there is a link to the author's website. There are instructions there on how to make the quilt. Maybe they are better.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdgenquilter
what does this mean.....
. The strips have to cut three and half inches in length of the fabric, from cut the strips 3.5 inches wide of the fabric

. Fabric with fold is to be faced towards you and then to be cut 2.5 inches strips of every fabric . Cut the fabric one at a time if you are a beginner.......I am not a beginner but this is sure making me feel like one .I thought this would be like a "short trip...I am confused by these insrtructions..can anyone help??

Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/art-and-...#ixzz16MAsQWPW
Under Creative Commons License: Attributionthis mean?????"""

<cackle> I'd be more amazed if you could understand those instructions!! I'd bet they were written in another language and then "translated" by somebody that also doesn't speak English as a first language.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:33 AM

That was my first thought also. It must of been translated to be that broke up. Maybe you could find another beginner bargello pattern to make
Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 AM

I wouldn't even attempt this pattern, it's just not right.

Find another pattern 3rdgenquilter, there's some lovely ones out there.
:D
Old 11-26-2010, 03:50 AM

Hahahaha I'm cracking up here. This tutorial is for "beginners"?? I'm still fairly new to quilting, but I wouldn't quite consider myself a beginner (just because I am familiar with terms and techniques and have a few quilts under my belt - still LOTS to learn though, of course) maybe I`m a novice quilter...

Anyway. If a TRUE beginner tried to do that, they would never, ever quilt again.

I agree that it reads like a poor translation.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 AM

Sounds like the person just transcribed their notes, cuz that's rhe kind of 'shorthand' I write down to help me remember how I did something. Not very helpful to anyone else!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 AM

The strips have to cut three and half inches in length of the fabric, from cut the strips 3.5 inches wide of the fabric

what I get out this is 3 1/2" length of fabric (42") and then into 3 1/2" blocks?????
Old 11-26-2010, 06:45 AM

It's probably been run through a translation program.

Those often literally translate every word of the original instructions yet don't make sense because usually when you go from one language to the next you can't translate every word and make sense.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:58 AM

It's probably been run through a translation program.

Those often literally translate every word of the original instructions yet don't make sense because usually when you go from one language to the next you can't translate every word and make sense.