Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help.... I have a mess >

Help.... I have a mess

Help.... I have a mess

Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM

I'd be so thrilled to get a memory quilt that you made for me, all I'd see is the love in it.

Give it to your friend as is. It's a memory quilt. None of our memories are perfect; they're all pulled and stretched by time, love, kindness and sometimes a little regret. And, of course, what we learned from our experiences as we live our lives.

The quilt you made reflects all that. It also another set of memories - your time, kindness, love and a tinge of regret over how the quilt looks.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 AM

I think it would look better with a border in any case, to frame your blocks.

If this is helpful at all, I just put borders on a quilt that had setting triangles all around the edges, with every edge on the bias - ack. I didn't have enough fabric to cut them any other way, so I tried to handle them as gently as possible, even while frogging. They didn't lie completely flat, though. I managed to get the border on by using the walking foot and pins, with the stretchy part on the bottom and the border on top. (I tried the reverse as an experiment and the bias stretched immediately.) So, you might try that if you're going for a border.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM

You mentioned that you have to make four more. Let's plan ahead. I suspect that some of your pieces are not on the 'straight of grain' resulting in unstable edges. Look carefully at the plaid on the left side; it's not straight. Blocking won't help.
If you cannot cut on straight of grain, be sure to back those pieces with lightweight iron-on interfacing, non-woven type.
Stretching, pullling, and blocking will last only until the quilt is washed, then it will be all wonky again.

Last edited by peacebypiece; 10-06-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 AM

I think it depends on your friend. Is she someone who loves what you do no matter what? Then it's fine the way it is, but learn from this for the next one. Is she critical and detail oriented ? Then I might undo the stitching around the edge and add a border and binding. While less time consuming and fabric saving, I'm not a fan of the turn it inside out method of finishing a quilt. Very few of the ones I've seen have a nice straight , clean finish like it sounds like you were looking for. That said, I love the blocks you've designed - there's so much to look at and enjoy along with the clothing parts. Good job!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

Great idea about the rag binding.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Oh, the joys of sewing with strange, different weight fabrics. I think your best option would be to add binding to even out the sides. I might even try the rag binding in case it doesn't come out perfectly even,it would disguise the difference.
Rag binding is done with doubled flannel stitched to the back, folded to the front and top stitch about 1/2 inch from the flannel edge. You then clip the 1/2 raw edge to form the rag edge. Your memory quilt looks great!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 AM

Have you ever seen a gees bend quilt? I say it's done. Don't worry about it
Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
I have taken on the project of making memory quilts for a friend out of her dad's memorabilia.

Well, I was so excited to have completed the first top. I just sandwiched it...no borders and was going to stitch in the ditch.

Well, when all was done.. I must have tugged too hard on the flannels and knits, ( I did have them on pellon ) now I have wavy , and uneven sides.... any suggestions.

Should I try opening the stitching on the sides and add a binding?

I could cry... can't give it to my friend like this

Any suggestions?? Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I'd be so thrilled to get a memory quilt that you made for me, all I'd see is the love in it.

Give it to your friend as is. It's a memory quilt. None of our memories are perfect; they're all pulled and stretched by time, love, kindness and sometimes a little regret. And, of course, what we learned from our experiences as we live our lives.

The quilt you made reflects all that. It also another set of memories - your time, kindness, love and a tinge of regret over how the quilt looks.
This is my thoughts also. I am quite sure that they will love it the way it is. It is what is called LIFE.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 AM

I would use a steam iron and steam and steam and steam and keep it flat. You might try spray starch on the back also.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

It's pretty miserable trying to make a flat quilt out of stretchy knits and who-knows-what-else that clothing is made of. Maybe you will have to be content with a quilt that isn't going to lie perfectly flat. I'm sure the family will still love it because it reminds them of "Grandpa".
Old 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM

I believe you would be happier with it, if you would add both a border and a binding. To me, borders around a quilt are like matting around a picture...and the binding is like a frame. The border and binding would pull the quilt all together.