Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help.... I have a mess >

Help.... I have a mess

Help.... I have a mess

Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Help.... I have a mess

I have taken on the project of making memory quilts for a friend out of her dad's memorabilia.

Well, I was so excited to have completed the first top. I just sandwiched it...no borders and was going to stitch in the ditch.

Well, when all was done.. I must have tugged too hard on the flannels and knits, ( I did have them on pellon ) now I have wavy , and uneven sides.... any suggestions.

Should I try opening the stitching on the sides and add a binding?

I could cry... can't give it to my friend like this

Any suggestions?? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 100_7622.jpg   100_7621.jpg   100_7620.jpg   100_7619.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 AM

That is why I put on bindings. I can never make it straight when doing the birthing method. I was the same when I made one...I was so upset, I ended up cutting the squaures on the end in half, added new borders and then added a binding. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Oh, the joys of sewing with strange, different weight fabrics. I think your best option would be to add binding to even out the sides. I might even try the rag binding in case it doesn't come out perfectly even,it would disguise the difference.
Rag binding is done with doubled flannel stitched to the back, folded to the front and top stitch about 1/2 inch from the flannel edge. You then clip the 1/2 raw edge to form the rag edge. Your memory quilt looks great!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I would try spritzing it with water and pressing it again while pulling it a bit where needed. you can get it pretty wet and block it with your hands and a measuring tape too. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:03 AM

It looks like you sewed vertical rows last. (Just a guess) I would separate it into vertical rows and sew borders vertically between and on the edges. Not bias, that wouldn't help. I would use interface the borders or starch them for stiffness. Then soak it and block it. Since it is a hanger, you may get a few, waves. I would then sew a sleeve on the bottom and use another rod on the bottom to stabilize. I have used metal cafe curtain rods instead of wooden ones, the weight helps even out the waves. How do I know all this, I have been in the same situation. One of my favorite hangers have waves and with the bottom rod, they aren't as noticable because it hangs straight. Just my advice.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:23 AM

oh dear, I'm so sorry. I would wash it first and block it. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 AM

thank you all... decided to take the stitching out and edges... will add a binding after I straighten anything I can... all these fabrics are driving me nuts. All ideas are great....

Bad part is I have 4 more to make.... what did I get myself into...?????
Old 10-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I think I would add a border before adding binding. That way you could ease the stretched edges of the quilt into the border and have an unwavy edge for the binding. You would need to cut the border pieces to correct size first (measure through middle of quilt).

Also, depending on the fabric used for the border, it would help to heavily starch the border fabric before cutting to size so the border pieces remain stable throughout the process. (I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, saturate the fabric, toss in dryer, and iron.)

I love the way you put the pieces together. It will be a great quilt!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Thanks Prism99 that is an excellent idea.... What would you use for a border color?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I would take the quilt to a fabric store and try it against dark blue and dark gray solids and plaids (flannel if you can find the right colors). You don't show the back of the quilt. You would need to add a border piece to the back that works with the backing color.

It would probably be best to sew one border on at a time. For example, right side top only first, easing top to fit measurement of border, then turn over and add backing border along the same line of stitching.