Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: help i have too much fleece

Do you make clothes? line a jacket or vest or super warm sweat shirt. Diane C.

could you post a picture, please?

thanks

darlene

Hi, I'm Bob and I'm a fleece-aholic. My favorite use for fleece, (when my SO complains about the vast horde of fleece I have) is to make stuffed animals. Any stuffed animal pattern can be made from fleece, the animals are softer, washable and last longer than most other fabrics. They make great gifts for kids or even adults. My most often requested animals are elephants and pigs.

Fleece is sooo warm, and there is a pattern for pet sweaters - would make good gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I have this super quick and easy slipper sock pattern. Makes a pair in less than 1/2 hour. I sew a square of suede to the bottom at the ball of the foot so the don't slip. This year I got fancy and made hearts and stars on the bottom.
    The pix didn't come upforme. Which slipper pattern did you use?

pal
    I can't pass up a fleece remnant either - the louder the better. They make the BEST stuffed animals.

The pattern for the fleece slippers that I make is from Jo-Ann's, and it's on one of those stands in the pattern dept. under "The Green Pepper" title, not in a pattern book.

Green Pepper F837 Polar Slipper

I make coats for my dog
    Attached Images Attached Images

see

better looking harry
    Name:  Attachment-160620.jpe
Views: 49
Size:  66.6 KB

I use fleece as the backing for all my family quilts, with batting. Of course I hand quilt, dont know how this would work on a machine. It is very warm and wears well. We live on the Mass/NH border in a snow belt and it gets quite cold.

four layers of fleece will make a wonderful pot holder. I made 15 before Christmas for stocking stuffers...very well received!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pal
    I can't pass up a fleece remnant either - the louder the better. They make the BEST stuffed animals.

The pattern for the fleece slippers that I make is from Jo-Ann's, and it's on one of those stands in the pattern dept. under "The Green Pepper" title, not in a pattern book.

Green Pepper F837 Polar Slipper
    You can order this directly from Green Pepper.

http://www.thegreenpepper.com/hats.html?id=3WqcuJhy

I make shawls with pockets for a book for children having Chemo.

A few things come to mind: hats, ear warmers, quilt backs, "silky" blankets (the ones with silk ribbons), sweatshirts, pjs, lounging pants...

You can also put corn, rice or cherry pits in a muslin bag and make a pillowcase out of fleece, put in the microwave and put on your aching joints.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Sock slippers. Really post toasty warm.
    ditto

I sew 2 pieces together about the size of place mat and donate them to the local animal shelter to use for the cat cages.

Quote Originally Posted by judytudy
    I make shawls with pockets for a book for children having Chemo.
    These shawls are also nice for Nursing Home residents.

Look at this designer circular vest. I have made it from fleece for little girls and it is adorable. You can use the trim suggested, or none at all. It is quick and can be a no-sew project if you like.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/11045/circular-vest

Blog Entries
    Yes. cut them into large pieces, sew them together and bring where they are sewed together as well as the sides.

I've done this and they come out really nice. Mix colors, design and make a conversation throw from them.

Another idea - cut the fleece 12 inches long x the width of the fleece - you'll have a scarf. But wait - to finish it, sew a separating zipper down the front, starting at the "bottom" of the scarf. Under your coat, it will look like a vest ! Let me know if you do this.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    If you have a Swiffer Sweeper, you can use fleece to make reusable covers for them.

It also makes super warm pillowcases.
    I LOVE your idea of making reusable refills for a swiffer!! What a great idea!

Mittens.....really easy and kids love them.

If you have enough fabric you can make kid's pants. My sister has made these for all of her grandchildren and they love them so much they have asked for another pair so they have one when the other is being washed. Bless my sister she also made some for me and I tell you the kids are right they are the most comfortable and warm pants I own. Try it.

I make a lot of fleece rag quilts & everyone loves them. It leaves more of a fringe than rag, but are very warm. I Always use two or more colors in a double layer & alternate the colors on front & back. You can even use your strip scraps up doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    You can use them as a substitute for batting. Just sandwich them like you would a batting.

Square up a piece about 6" longer than you actually want for a blanket. Cut a 3" square from each corner. Fold each edge in 1 1/2" and seam 1 1/4" from the folded edge. Make 1" cuts ever 1/2" all the way around your blanket. With your fingers or a large crochet hook start with one loop and pull the next one through it. Do this all the way around the blanket until you come to the last loop. Cut it through the middle or on either side, loop it through your first loop then hand stitch it back together. This will give you a fleece blanket with a beautiful "braided" looking edge. Kids seem to love them like this. You can do the same with smaller left over squares. When the stitching is done and the loops are cut, put two together and crochet one loop from one side with a loop from the other piece until you reach the fourth side. Put a pillow form in and finish the last side. Now you have a matching blanket and small pillow---absolutely wonderful for traveling. I almost forgot, when stitching down the edges use a bit of a zigzag or other stretchable stitch.
    Can you do a pictorial tute on this technique? I think I get it and see many possibilities for the technique but pictures would be wonderful!
    I'd like to see a pictorial on this, as well. It sounds like a great idea, but I'm more of a visual learner!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast