Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP. !!! I NEED HELP

That is a pretty wall hanging. Gotta love those flowers. Great job and I'm glad you figured out the problem

Blog Entries
    What a gorgeous piece! I have done the same thing breaking needle after needle until I realized the layers were too much for the needle I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    What a gorgeous piece! I have done the same thing breaking needle after needle until I realized the layers were too much for the needle I was using.
    Thank you. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with that prob. then. Only cost me 10 needles to figure it out. Sure won't do that again.

The first one of us who can claim to be perfect, well that's saying a lot. The more I rush, the more mistakes I make.

ARE YOU USING A WALKING FOOT? IF NOT THAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM.

How adorable! Glad you found the problem.

Been there, done that a few times.

great quilt. Now I want to make one! glad you figured out the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
    Ok, I have had that problem too. One time I forgot to drop my feed dogs (dah) and most times, it is because I am moving too fast. Good Luck! Don't give up!
    Right, if you're SEWING too SLOW and are moving the fabric too fast, it will break a needle.

Absolutely beautiful. Glad you found your problem and didn't give up. You put a lot of work into that quilt.

Blog Entries
    ooooh i love the yo-yos. do you mind if i copy you some day? did you tack your yo-yos down in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by misseva
    ooooh i love the yo-yos. do you mind if i copy you some day? did you tack your yo-yos down in the middle?
    Thank you but I can't take full credit. I copied it from Patti's basket which she posted on here awhile back. Hers was so beaut. in soft pastel colors. I just knew I had to make one.

Yes, for my part, you may copy mine. As for my yo-yos, I actually hot glued them on. I felt that was the most secure way. The flower part of the wallhanging is rather heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYearsOld
    Ok, I have had that problem too. One time I forgot to drop my feed dogs (dah) and most times, it is because I am moving too fast. Good Luck! Don't give up!
    Right, if you're SEWING too SLOW and are moving the fabric too fast, it will break a needle.
    That's what I thought was my prob. in the beginning but it got so all I had to do was 2 stitches & the needle broke. Talk about frustrated. I was able to get part of it done before this started. Once I figured out my prob. that pc. I did get stitched was stiff as a board. I had to toss it out since it was so unfinished. It was a 10" mat. I forgot to mention it also had a layer of Insul Brite. I should buy stock in the needle company. LOL

Lovely!

I have a Viking, too, and have found that I need a more heavy duty needle when FMQ - a 90 usually. I don't put the feed dogs down even with a darning foot and actually have more even stitches that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch
    Lovely!

I have a Viking, too, and have found that I need a more heavy duty needle when FMQ - a 90 usually. I don't put the feed dogs down even with a darning foot and actually have more even stitches that way.
    I think it was 90s I was using. I admit I need to learn more about diff. needles though. Are you saying you don't put the feed dogs down even for FMQ? I don't understand how that can work. I may be misunderstanding what you're saying though. I found that my uneven stitches are due to my speed. I tend to slow down my speed when I shouldn't. I'm so new at it though but I'll get it eventually. I'm sure enjoying it. Thanks so much for your help.

Are your feed dogs up or down? If you are using the quilting foot they should be up and if you are free motion quilting they should be down. I never remember this until after the frustration.
    Good luck.

I know that everybody - and I mean everybody! - says to put the feed dogs down when freemotion quilting, but I have better luck with them up. And I don't go fast either. I find that I get sloppy when I go too fast. And everybody says to go fast, too! You have to do what works for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marymm
    great quilt. Now I want to make one! glad you figured out the problem.
    Ditto!!

Oh my, I am glad you solved your problem, because that wall hanging is absolutely beautiful. Love it.
    Nancy

It is very easy to put the needle in backwards and it can cause big problems,
    Mary

I'm glad everything worked out for you. You did a lovely job on the wall hanging. :D

Quote Originally Posted by MarySews
    It is very easy to put the needle in backwards and it can cause big problems,
    Mary
    I even considered that but the needle wouldn't go in at all unless I had it facing the right way.
    I have no trouble FMQ with the feed dogs down but I might try them up just to see what happens.

Sorry to hear of problem with needles, but are you using the correct pressure foot and is the needle in the right position (ie, left, right or centre?)?

After breaking 4 in a week recently as soon as I went to sew, I realized that I had ignored machine telling me to change feet because needle was set to left position and kept hitting the foot, I decided to remove the foot adapter every time I turned the machine off until I remembered to double check everything before sewing :roll: Good luck with next try.

Pat, you're neither dumb or persistent, but quite normal. Determination always wins, even though it takes us a while to catch on to what we might be doing wrongly, eventually we get it right.

Just noticed you've been using hot glue for attaching flowers which would contribute to thickness if you go over the lines!!

My Brother 4000D machine tells me when I haven't put presser foot down and will not sew until I've done that.

Love your avatar and the bouquet is bright and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ada Shiela
    Pat, you're neither dumb or persistent, but quite normal. Determination always wins, even though it takes us a while to catch on to what we might be doing wrongly, eventually we get it right.

Just noticed you've been using hot glue for attaching flowers which would contribute to thickness if you go over the lines!!

My Brother 4000D machine tells me when I haven't put presser foot down and will not sew until I've done that.

Love your avatar and the bouquet is bright and beautiful.

I'm so sorry but you are confusing two different projects. My FMQ was on a 10" pad. I came across the pattern recently which made coasters. I enlarged it to make a hot mat. This mat had a layer of Insul Brite along with sev. layers of fabric so that contributed to the thickness which ended up being my problem. This problem didn't occur on the flower basket. I have worked on another pc. since & had no prob. Boy, did I feel dumb but so many of you said that was too many layers.

I wish my machine gave me signals when things were not right. For instance I was making a curtain for my laundry rm. door window today & I ran out of bobbin thread. I hate that since you get thru a whole line of stitching with no thread.

I hear all of you talking about the features your machines have so I'll know what to look for if & when I update my mach. It cost so much, that isn't likely to be soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast