Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I pin and my blocks shift >

Help! I pin and my blocks shift

Help! I pin and my blocks shift

Old 10-27-2009, 03:24 PM

I also use silk pins and have very good luck with them. I recommend them highly. :D
Old 10-29-2009, 04:22 AM

All of the hints everyone has given you are great. Sometimes when I am trying to match corners or whatever where I want it to be perfect, I do my best pinning tricks and then just sew 4 or 5 stitches across the intersection instead of the entire seam. Then I open it up to check it. As you said sometimes even with our best pinning, the blocks still shift. This way if it has shifted I only have those 4 or 5 stitches to remove. If it's perfect when I check, then I go back and sew up the rest of the seam. This is a trick I was taught back in the days of making our own clothes, but it surely helps in quilting too.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 AM

Hope I can explain this properly. Match up your seams by putting a pin right through both of the seams from top to bottom, once and leave it kinda dangling there....Then put a pin on either side of this, in the usual manner. By using that first pin and having it perpendicular to the fabric, you don't shift the seams by trying to put it down through the fabric. After you anchor with the two pins on either side of the one that's dangling there, you can remove that first pin and sew. It helps me.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shandy
Hope I can explain this properly. Match up your seams by putting a pin right through both of the seams from top to bottom, once and leave it kinda dangling there....Then put a pin on either side of this, in the usual manner. By using that first pin and having it perpendicular to the fabric, you don't shift the seams by trying to put it down through the fabric. After you anchor with the two pins on either side of the one that's dangling there, you can remove that first pin and sew. It helps me.
That's the way I pin also. Thanks for explaining it. I can do it, but was at a loss for words.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 AM

euclid - my very over-worked seam ripper thanks you! I have never heard of this process, but you can bet I'm going to use it on those tricky matches going forward!

Renee
Old 10-30-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
When seams match up exactly, I use Clover Fork Pins. You can see what they look like here:
http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Fork-Pi...6449121&sr=8-1
I swear by the Clover fork pins and my seams always match up. Sometimes the Clotilde catalogue has them on sale :-) and I stock up.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Are you nesting your seams? This should help. I pin from the edge of the fabric to the inside that way I can get the pin out before going over it with my machine needle.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by aileenlenzi
I had the BEST quilt teacher when I first learned to quilt. Besides looking at those sites, there is one other tip that is not mentioned. I iron one seam one way and the other seam the other way and then when I go to place the two seams together "you feel for the two seams to butt up together" then pin the seams on either side. It takes a little practice but I guarantee you will see that you have perfectly matching seams every time! Hope this helps.
I do exactly this, also, and I pin right through the seams with a fine pin to hold them together. I pin only at the seams, then line up the edges of the blocks in between the pins. Works for me!! I get very nice, tight, lined up corners nearly every time.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Yep that is Nesting ;)>
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM
dsj

hehehe! I go through the same thing, it can be so frustrating, from now on it's "make my day" Love your humor!