Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I Singed!!! >

Help! I Singed!!!

Help! I Singed!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Power Poster

vinegar only sets acid dyes. acid dyes are used more often to dye wools and other textiles, the dyes used in other dyeing are not acid dyes and vinegar is not used, it really has nothing to do with setting the color, it has to do with changing the ph value of the fabric so the dye can adhere.
vinegar is used to clean lots and lots of stuff (like your coffee pot)
as for the singe...it really depends on how bad the singe is whether it will (fade) come out. i have tried to save a couple singed things before, without much luck...but that peroxide thing may be the ticket
good luck

Originally Posted by np3
I thought vinegar set colors?
:thumbup:
Old 10-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

Scorched with an iron. Ooops, someone got there before me.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:24 AM

Don't know exactly what your singeing problem is,
BUT -
I singed some appliqué pieces a while back, and turns out I had scorched the starch, not the fabric.
Lucky!

So you might try washing the piece first, because if it is just the starch that is singed, then it will wash out.
If it's the fabric, that's another problem.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but I scorched (singed) a little quilt (long time ago)and badly scorched it and eventually it wore a hole in it; had to cut off and made it into my dog's quilt. So, I always wonder how much pressing/ironing fabric can take. I still press very good though. lol
Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Another thing I try to do also, is to press only on the back if I can. That way, if I scorch or singe, it might not show from the front hopefully.
But I have learned to put the iron one click down from the hottest cotton setting, use a bit of steam, and not go the "iron too hot" route at all.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
How can I get a singe mark out of my fabric? I always make my mistakes in 2's so I have 2 - 4" tri-recs to work on.
Cover it with applique...
Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Don't know exactly what your singeing problem is,
BUT -
I singed some appliqué pieces a while back, and turns out I had scorched the starch, not the fabric.
Lucky!

So you might try washing the piece first, because if it is just the starch that is singed, then it will wash out.
If it's the fabric, that's another problem.
I agree. If you used starch before pressing, you most likely singed the starch, not the fabric, and the peroxide probably just removed the starch. Once you burn fabric threads, you may or may not find something to remove the discolored burnt parts, but the threads are still partly destroyed by the burning and thus weaker.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I read that white vinegar will take out the singe marks. Also peroxide soaked fabric heated with an iron on top of the mark is suppose to work too.
Be careful with the peroxide. It could take out the dye in the fabric as well if left too long.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
So maybe it is better to use old peroxide for this? LOL
I am glad it worked now the rest of us will know what to do the next time we make this mistake.
LOL :lol: :lol: My thought exactly. So the conclusion is don't throw out that outdated peroxide. I had heard of that trick, but have never had to try it. You had better check your iron for overheating. Next time you are ironing something white, try using a presscloth or just a scrap of fabric over what you are ironing.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 AM

great news -
Originally Posted by bjnicholson
OMG :shock: The peroxide worked! I could hardly believe my eyes! I poured some of it a cup and sotched the pieces with a paper towel. The singes came right out when I ironed it. And the peroxide had an expiration date of 9/09!