Help in identifying this pattern >

Help in identifying this pattern

Help in identifying this pattern

Old 05-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

9- patch tumbling block.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:14 PM

Trying to describe how I would approach it:

Look at the picture diagonally, as blocks are on point.

Isolate what I will call sashing, although I think it's part of the blocks. Look at only the 9 patch and sashing on two opposite sides as if going across the block. Looking this way, you will see that it looks like a strip with a square that was stitched and flipped to make a triangle on corner. Light blue on the dark rectangles, dark blue one the light rectangles.

While I don't think this was the way it was made, it might work... If, that is, you can figure out what I'm talking about!

There is a tumbling blocks pattern from the series Not Your Grandmother's that makes a TB without Y seams. If you look at that, it might help you. The 3D effect is, in large part, bc of color selection and placement.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Does this help?

The blogger says she saw the pattern in 5500 QuiltBlocks by Maggie Mahone.

https://bcquilter.wordpress.com/2011...lt-variations/
Old 05-09-2018, 08:03 PM

I have both Not your grandmother's and 5500 quilt blocks on hold at my library - will be anxious to see if they have that quilt block and instructions. I'll be sure to let you all know - thank you!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:27 AM

I have no clue as to it's name, but it is one of the more interesting patterns I've seen.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

While the quilt you linked to is reminiscent of Tumbling blocks you have discovered that most Tumbling blocks are assembled using all diamond shape units. Because you want to frame a square 9P with the 3d effect, look into the pattern Attic Windows for your assembly. You can skip the set in seam by using a HST as the corner unit of the sashing (note that the seam is better concealed if you use a print fabric that "reads" solid, rather than a solid). Then set your completed blocks on point and you should get the effect you are looking for.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:55 PM

So funny- I just bought a box of books & mags at a church sale. Scrap Quilts Galore form Oxmoor House has a 3-d 9-patch pattern by Mary Ann Keathly that looks like that. But after the 9-patches it looks like a LOT of set in seams that would drive me CRAZY. As I look at it, you might be able to use HSTs at the corners & sew the blocks together on the diagonal. Don't know for sure, but I think I would sketch it out before trying all those set in seams. IMHO
Old 05-20-2018, 02:18 PM

I have that on bucket list. The pattern I have is from Great American Quilts 1994, but I know it is in another one of my "Best of, some kind of collection of" books too. At quick glance, you make the 9 patch squares. Add strips on the 4 sides of some of them, and sew seams (with on-points together sewn to make seam) to make a vertical row(length of quilt). Sew 9 patch squares between rows. Kind of hard to describe in words, but if you look at picture, you put a 9 patch between vertical rows of 9 patch and sashing blocks. Lots of y seams, but you get the hang of them after you do so many. Lots of instructions on youtube.