Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP, I'm making a quilt with signatures! >

HELP, I'm making a quilt with signatures!

HELP, I'm making a quilt with signatures!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM

Default HELP, I'm making a quilt with signatures!

I have my design ready for a quilt I am making for a 8yr old girl with lung cancer. It is going to be all 5" squares with different fabrics of things she like sponge-Bob, Dora Ext.. Centered in the quilt is going to be a large S for our high school. I plan to take the fabric to one of our football practices to have the players to sign it for her.

Could you all give me some advice on maybe the best fabric (needs to be a white or off white) and pens to use for the signatures? Should I cut out the squares before they sign them?
Christina
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChristinaHall View Post
I have my design ready for a quilt I am making for a 8yr old girl with lung cancer. It is going to be all 5" squares with different fabrics of things she like sponge-Bob, Dora Ext.. Centered in the quilt is going to be a large S for our high school. I plan to take the fabric to one of our football practices to have the players to sign it for her.

Could you all give me some advice on maybe the best fabric (needs to be a white or off white) and pens to use for the signatures? Should I cut out the squares before they sign them?
Christina
I'd use white/off white 5" squares ironed to freezer paper for the signatures. The fabric will be more stable to write on with the freezer paper. Use Micron Pigma pens for signatures, then heat set them.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

also, you might pencil in the 1/4" seam allowance so the signers do not get too close to the edge
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Agree ... either pencil in the seam lines or use the Frixxion pens as they will erase out when you heat set the signatures.

I have had no luck writing on the fabric even when pressed to the freezer paper ... it seems to free itself from the waxed coating and then it's just a slippery mess.

What I do, is spray the fabric with 505 and stick it to paper and cut to size, for crisp edges. Holds it tight, for the signing, and I stitch with it on, as I would for PPing.

For markers you can use Sharpie Extra Fine markers. You can get a whole assortment of colours which would make the signatures a little more interesting ... plus some may include a drawing with their siggy if you provide the tools!

Be sure to remember to heat set all, after the signatures are done.

Last edited by QuiltE; 10-16-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM

Will the S be appliqués onto a large centerpiece? You could do that with a white background, that is used for signing. Then LOTS of persons could sign in the open space around the S. If you use squares your signatures will be limited to the # of squares you have room for.

You could appliqué the S onto the white. Know the size you need and cut to fit so people don't sign outside the lines . Maybe add and inch tops, and duse a disappearing marked to frame your sewing line. Iron this all to a large sheet of freezer paper, to make writing easier. By doing this, your signatures will be all over the place but, many can send wishes. You can then make WIDE boarders with your novelty prints

prayers for her recovery
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 AM

I think either off white or white would be okay. Anything light. What are your high school colors? Maybe that would work with the large "S".

I agree with Gramajo about the freezer paper or you can just lay a piece of fine sanding paper underneath for the signatures. Pigma pens are the best I have used but there are several color fast pens that you can find at the store for writing on fabric.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM

As others have said use Pigma Pens , they will not wash out and use a piece of sandpaper on a clip board and you should no problems with the shifting of the cloth.

Last edited by Iamquilter; 10-16-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM

After just coming back down stairs from cutting out squares there are now 6 inches:-) The S will be made from 37 1/2 total 6" squares that should be plenty of room for everyone to sign in.

Are school colors are blue and white & I am having a terrible time tying in the color blue when I have Dora, Tinker Bell & Disney the princess fabric. I have also cut out 3 solids, blue, green & yellow along with 3 different floral.

I guess with this only going to be a lap size quilt it is going to be mostly the signatures & I would like to find a couple more character prints. I just am not to sure where it is going right now. I am not worried about cutting out to many squares because I will use them later for a I spy quilt. I am worried a little about making it to girly.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Maybe do some planning before you go further ... or you may find it just dones't come together in a satisfactory way!

What about making the quilt reversable, with signatures and prints on both sides?
A good way to get more in, without making the quilt too huge.

Or just do the back a scrappy of the different character prints you want to include.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Use a light color fabric, tone on tone print would be OK, for the center square. Remember to prewash the fabric and NO additives like softener or starch or such. Just iron the fabric to freezer paper cut a bit larger in length than needed, then trim the excess away and repress. This is your 'leading edge' to go into your printer.

I do NOT use best with my printer as it is too much ink. After printing I re-iron the fabric to set the ink.

With signature pieces I make a frame, usually from a file folder so that those signing can only sign within the area I cut out. I first tried just marking the seam line and explaining where to sign but found that didn't work. When I used a fram all the signatures fit like they were supposed to.

I think I put a written tute on the QB about this.

Have fun with it.

ali