Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with a Judy Niemeyer pattern please? >

Help with a Judy Niemeyer pattern please?

Help with a Judy Niemeyer pattern please?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Help with a Judy Niemeyer pattern please?

Is there anyone who has done the Judy Niemeyer pattern "My Two Baby Sisters"? I am having trouble understanding a couple of the corrections I have downloaded. I have tried the Quiltworx Support group on Facebook but so far I haven't had any help. I have done other Quiltworx patterns. Thanks in anticipation.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Gay

Which correction is causing a problem, there are several, and is it the quilt or the placemats? I haven't done this one but will try to help if I can.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:53 AM

Thanks Gay...it's the quilt I am doing. The correction for one part of the piecing says "Restart numbering at Step 1". I can't work out what I am meant to be numbering. I can't find any reference to numbering anything in the instructions except for the bags. It says it again at the end when talking about block placement on the design wall...in that instance I am presuming it means to number the blocks for reference once I've decided on their placement for sewing the top together but for the other...I have no idea. Thanks for offering to help.
Is it hot up there today? It's shocking down here in Victoria.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-03-2019 at 03:43 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic
Old 03-03-2019, 05:08 AM

Hi Ruby,
It looks like you have done at least 2 JN patterns. I don't follow her directions to the letter. Set the pattern aside and go with you gut as to the sequence of assembly. It's easier for me that way because her patterns are very detailed. Some of her corrections are just a clarification of what she had to begin with. Not a change in the actual pattern. Good luck. I have my 3rd or 4th one waiting to be worked on. I lost count.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I would do what seems logical to do. I took a JN workshop. I did it the way the instructor said to in the class but finished the quilt using regular paper piecing method at home. I don't like all that numbering and precise cutting before sewing. Personally I thought it was a waste of time. Saving a little fabric wasn't my goal or concern. I would buy another JN pattern but use the paper pattern to do regular paper piecing.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-03-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks everyone...appreciated.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:33 AM
Gay

We've had several cloudy days which has taken the edge off the heat, but no rain, and it's terribly dry, everything in the garden is dying and sunburnt. We can feel autumn in the air at night though

OK, as far as I can make out, the numbering is for each section of the foundation pieced unit. I haven't seen the original pattern so can only assume the order of sewing has changed, and don't understand why the left and right units are put together by starting with different sections - unless both units begin with the same colour fabric.
I did this sketch up and numbered each piece, but I doubt that it matters which section you start/end with
This is the left, the blue is the 1st fabric. The right one has 3 & 1 reversed. Hope I haven't confused you more.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]609677[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mybabysis.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 05:20 AM

There is a site that you can go to that has CI's (certified instructors) strictly for Judy Niemeyer patterns. That is an excellent place and they are Very helpful. The site is called Quiltworx

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:11 PM

drdolly.....I have been on Quiltworx and have had no luck with assistance, just a couple of answers that weren't helpful at all as they didn't address the point in question. Pretty disappointed actually. Won't go there again.

Gay, thanks so much for your time and consideration....I noted your post and will have another look at the pattern at the end of the week. I'm doing full shifts all this week so won't have an opportunity before the weekend to have another look. I appreciate your time and effort and will "report back" once I've had another "nut" at it! Thanks again.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 03-04-2019 at 11:14 PM.