Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!  With Kaleidoscope Quilt >

HELP! With Kaleidoscope Quilt

HELP! With Kaleidoscope Quilt

Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Once you have fixed your triangle units, when sewing your two sides together start in the center and stitch out towards the edge. It does involve removing the unit from your sewing machine to flip. It does not take much longer either. This keeps your center aligned, allows you to spiral out the center and most importantly helps keep those points nice. Pin as Prism suggests but no need to glue when starting from the center. I describe it a little here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t240705.html
Old 12-09-2014, 06:41 AM

Eleanor Burns has shown on TV how to pick out the first few stitches and open the seams and then "swirl" the pieces so that they lie flat.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 AM

In your first photo it looks like the far right section on the top could be trimmed. I would lay a ruler along the flat edge on the bottom, make sure that you are 1/4 " from the points and trim in a straight line. Then carefully pin and sew.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:02 AM

Another way is to use the whacky web from Missouri Star quilt Co. You can go on utube for tutorial. They also have papers to piece them on.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Your quilt will be beautiful. I love the colors you have chosen.

I admire all you ladies that follow patterns, and match all your seems and points, but I am a beginner at quilting, so at age 71 I decided that there were plenty of ideas for quilt tops that don't need to follow a pattern, or match up seems and points. Also, I have to 'quilt as you go' because there is no way I can get on my knees on the floor to pin the top to the batting and back. Also, I have a very average size table to work on. I do use flashing, which I read here on the forum a lot of ladies do not like. I have found if I vary the colors of the flashing, it kinda blends with the top, and you don't get wonkey lines.

I'm too old to try to learn those beautiful patterns like stars and pinwheels, etc. I am having lots of fun even so.

I found a YouTube of a young man teaching how to make a 'crazy quilt' without the backing. I am loving it! I know many women don't like it, but I love lots of stuff going on with my quilts.

I have made about 20 (all different) so far, from start to binding. I make 9 squares, that turned into lots of little ones, so don't have to match seems, log cabin, crazy quilt, and I do make the magic triangle where you sew 2 pieces of 6" square all around, cut the diagonal both ways, and walla, two little cute squares. I have made string 12" squares, and solid blocks for accents.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks again for all the input ... RosaSharon - this is only my 2nd quilt following a pattern - all the others I've done by looking at pics and doing my own pattern - any mistakes I can then claim - it was supposed to be like that!

I spent three long hours last night getting all my triangles to be perfect - goodness what a pain in the behind LOL.

Tonight will be the test - and if it doesn't work out, I've already come up with a solution that doesn't involve throwing it out ... buy really neat buttons and sew them in the middle of the wheel LOL
Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 PM

Default Update update .... Yeah for me!!!

I redid all my triangles - trimmed them to make sure they were perfect ... and voila ...

IT works ... now if only my iron did ... DANG ... I just ordered a new one today as a present to myself ... and my old one is officially dead LOL

I can keep sewing just no more iron LOL

It might not look like it in the pic, but when I hold it down, it lines up!

Thanks for all the help ... greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails img_1341.jpg