Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help in locating.... >

Help in locating....

Help in locating....

Old 03-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Default Help in locating....

Good icey Sunday afternoon from Southeast Kansas:
I am looking for a pattern for a "vintage" quilt for my niece. She is in the military and I would like to award her with a Quilt of Valor. Her Mom said her fav. color is pink. I was thinking a quilt of only pink and white flowers and "ribbons" But its the "vintage" part that has me baffled. I have been quilting for about 2.5 years with an intermrdiate skill level. I have looked in all my sites and don't seem to find any. So I have come to my friends here.

At the same time I award my niece her quilt, but also her mother a more traditional Quilt of Valor who once served in the Air Force completing 3 generations of duty. I will also award a patriotic quilt to her husband who is also currently in service. I'm currently working on his.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 PM

Maybe when she says vintage she intends it to mean traditional. There are so many traditional patterns from rail fence through double and triple Irish chain. There was recently a thread showing gorgeous log cabin blocks made with florals. I hope this helps. Please give them all my thanks for their service. Joyce in DE
Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM

I am with Joyce please extend a word of gratitude on my behalf also. I am so proud of my daughter who was in the army, my partner who also did two terms in the army and my father who did his time in the air force. We should give all our thanks and extensions of good will. GOOD FOR YOU. (I decorate so much more strongly for Veterans Day than any other holiday out there!).

I think instantly Dresden plate when I think vintage. I know.. all those curves. I believe their is a very easy plate out there now to make the working of this so much simplier. another thought is perhaps just maybe a quilt that is YOU would be the best gift you could make. Make something you love for her and she will follow suit and love it back. I am making a snowflake quilt for my son in law right now. Its a royal not fun thing to do because I DONT LIKE DOING IT its all the same, all boring lol and well going to take me a million years. I would suggest strongly that you go with what you love, what floats your boat and you will have a hit I swear to you. Have faith.. she will love you for what you have done.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:38 PM

Depends on what you mean by "vintage". How far back are you wanting to go? I googled 1930's quilt patterns and several good designs came up. You could try civil war, 1880's, early 1900's. Lots of possibilities depending on the complexity of design you want.
Thank your family for their service to our country and good for you for making them quilts.

kathyd
Old 03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

So many of the patterns we used today are vintage. I think a double or triple Irish Chain always looks so pretty in shades of pink and white for the background. You might call or write her asking her what she is referring to when she mentions vintage. There are so many QOV patterns now a days. I made over a dozen quilts for QOV but I now make quilts for Foster kids who have little if any worldly possessions.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

I think the fabric choice is what gives a quilt a vintage look.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by JoyceHoopes View Post
Maybe when she says vintage she intends it to mean traditional. There are so many traditional patterns from rail fence through double and triple Irish chain. There was recently a thread showing gorgeous log cabin blocks made with florals. I hope this helps. Please give them all my thanks for their service. Joyce in DE

Thank you.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 PM

I think vintage can be a combination of fabric and pattern - court house steps with civil war fabrics or as stated above log cabin. I am sure she will be delighted with any quilt you award her. Thanks from me too for their service!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM

Please extend my gratitude to your partner and family members for their service. I like the Dresden plate idea. Will you post pictures of your snowflake quilt when you get it done?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:40 AM

All geat ideas. thank you all