Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with log cabin squares ? >

help with log cabin squares ?

help with log cabin squares ?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Honestly, I don't think that they have to be perfect, no one will really notice. I have made a few log cabin quilts and just square them up at the end. I believe paper piecing or squaring up after each log is a waste of time. Just make them all and square them up at the end. If you really want to, you can make the last log a little larger and then square them up.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Thank you all SO much for the excellent suggestions and encouragement !

I decided to give it another try, incorporating the ideas I could - and voila ! success !!!

Two things made a huge difference - I was sewing 1/4 inch seams but I reduced them down to a very scant 1/4 inch.

Also starch - a lifesaver ! I "starched the heck" out of the fabrics and it helped tremendously.

I am going to try to post a pic of my before and after - thank you all again, i will definately be looking for your advice again !
Attached Thumbnails 2013-04-08-001.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Way ta go!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 AM

there is a new log cabin ruler that I purchased - it has made my log cabin blocks darn-near perfect!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 AM

I have made at least four log cabin quilts and used Eleanor Burns Log Cabin Quilt in a Day book and all turned out great. BTW (I am a real hard case nit picker) for my corners and points to match in my quilts, and am often teased in my quilt group, because I rip out and keep working to get each point perfect. At one of our last meetings was working next to a dear friend who is a great seamstress and has sewn for the public for at least 30 + years. I was ripping out a set of blocks in my chevron quilt I am working on and her comment- "they are only off a smidgen and not enough to really notice, I personally would not bother to redo that" mine," I know but I can't stand to look at that being that much off, " other overheard and said "well you know Gerbie, she keeps on until it is perfect for her". I would drive my mother nuts when growing up because I would redo over and over until it satisfied me. Anyway, I have never had a problem with E. Burns method. I haven't used others, but highly suggest purchasing her book- I bought mine many years ago at Hobby Lobby. I might also add- some fabrics stretch much more than others, even if they are all cotton. I know for sure that gingham checks is one of the worst to stretch, - I am sure it is because of how tightly woven the fab. is in some fabs. So if some of the fab. in your strips seems to stretch more than others, that might be a problem there. Good luck and show us your work.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 AM

The first quilt I made was a log cabin quilt. I took a class at a quilt shop. We used Elanor Burns' Quilt in a Day. Didn't have the challenges I hear others talking about. Highly recommend the book. Can usually find it at JoAnn's with a coupon to save some money.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 AM

I'm currently making log cabin blocks using QAYG and find that starching and pressing are a good place to start. When I attach each strip on, I measure the distance across the top and bottom of the square after I've laid the next strip to be sewn on. That uses the straight edge on the left as the reference point rather than the pieces on the right that you are sewing over. It only takes a thread or two off to make the block look wonky and this method works for me to keep it acceptably square. Fabric is such a flexible medium to work with that there is almost always something to ease or trim. Part of the craft of quilting!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 AM

I have found that if I spend a few minutes starching my fabric before I cut it, then the strips have more body and don't seem to wabble. I make my own spray starch, just the old fashioned stuff you dilute with water, so my fabric is a bit stiffer than if I used a commerical spray starch. If I've cut them correctly, on the straight of grain, and sew them with skimpy 1/4 inch seam, press with each round, they work well for me.. For me the starch made the difference, try it, you'll like the way your blocks look!

I would probably carefully starch my strips, even after I've cut them.. Just be careful not to stretch them.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 AM

Of the quilts I've made the log cabin was the hardest even though most say it is easy.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 AM

No help here but happy for the answers. My only two log cabins were so bad I set them aside and said "never again"!