Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with log cabin squares ? >

help with log cabin squares ?

help with log cabin squares ?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 AM

When my guild made a group log cabin quilt, we made the last round wider, then trimmed the block to a standard size. The quilt tuned out great and no one noticed the differing sizes.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
there is a new log cabin ruler that I purchased - it has made my log cabin blocks darn-near perfect!
If you can, please post link to buy this ! Thank you - I'm a gadget hound !
Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I can't make a log cabin block come out straight and square unless I paper piece them. . .
Same here. It's so much easier that way!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Judie View Post
I make my own spray starch, just the old fashioned stuff you dilute with water, so my fabric is a bit stiffer than if I used a commerical spray starch.I would probably carefully starch my strips, even after I've cut them.. Just be careful not to stretch them.
Thank you ! I just found the new Niagra non-aerosol starch at my grocery and have been using it
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Niagara-No...22-oz/20630093

and was wondering if I could refill it with good old liquid starch mixed with water - can you give me the proportions you use ?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 AM

Are you using starch? Starch seems to reduce the amount of distortion when pressing pieces of fabric. And I, too, often resort to cutting pieces larger than I need, sewing two pieces together and then measuring and trimming the excess. I too, don't know why it's so hard to be precise, but the two suggestions I've given you have helpd me quite a bit.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM

Have any of you see a real log cabin! One of the charms is the fact that the logs go from wider to more narrow and the next row of logs goes from narrower to wider. I think that sometimes we fuss and worry and take a lot of delight out of our quilts because we don't want anyone to be able to think we aren't perfect. Nothing is perfect. Log cabin quilts made with some slight differences only add to the joy of the quilt. I have used the log cabin concept to frame pictutes (fairy prints, for instance) and made them wonky just to give magic and movement to the quilt. The GD that got that quilt spent 20 minutes laying on it, looking at each fairy, ideas silently going through her head, before she ran to me and thanked me several times with several kisses. She was about 6 then, she is 10 now and an incredible artist! The quilt really does look almost alive!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MO74 View Post
thanks - now I feel better knowing this is not just me. I don't know how to paper piece so.....

I will give it another shot with squaring as I go - can you tell me how you do that ? I have been using a small grid cutting board and lining up the edges with the grid, then trimming one edge straight, turning and doing the same to all sides. is this right ?
Your lines on the cutting board may be your problem. They are not as accurate as a ruler. Use your ruler to measure the distance from the 0 to say the 12" line ... does it match?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM

You may want to use paper piecing to get things just right
Old 04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I've made log cabin blocks using 1 1/2" strips, and no matter how careful I was each block was slightly different. Since they were just for placemats, I squared up each block to the same size. Having said that, I just finished making a queen size log cabin quilt using 2" strips. After each round, I squared up each block to the same size, then did the same after each round, even if it was only just a tiny trim - the quilt turned out beautifully and I'm very happy with it - just sent it to my niece to LAQ it for our family reunion in July as she has a long-arm. The one time I got absolutely perfect blocks was when I paper pieced the log cabin blocks. Hope this helps, but 1 1/2" strips can be a little challenging - but take it one step at a time and you'll do fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM

I've had success with three methods: trim/square up each round of logs and paper piecing and foundation. The first takes extra time to cut, the second takes extra time to remove the paper and the third is very heavy. I've never needed to use starch but your picture shows tremendous improvement, worth a try. I'd like to check out the Judy Martin book. Another method I've used is something like each log has it's own size, exaggerated. I make it wonky and trim up the block at the end to the finished size-this gives a lot of movement and fun. It's certainly not traditional, but then neither am I.