Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!! machine issues

Sounds like your top tension if off. Try rethreading & check the tension. Then do some adjusting.

I was just getting ready to tell you to take the bobbin area completely apart and clean it out but I see just above that you have done that. It took me awhile to realize after fighting my machine for hours that all I had to do is clean out that area. I always find a small piece of thread that was causing all these problems. So now every time I have to rewind a bobbin, I clean out that area and oil the specified areas and I don't have that problem anymore. I also don't use the cheap thread. You can really tell the difference between the type of threads.

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Since the top thread is not being caught and held by the bottom thread, it is definitely a bobbin issue! Take everything apart in the bobbin case one more time. Also be sure you are putting the bobbin in with the thread feeding off in the correct direction. (On my Ellisimo, I hold the bobbin up and have the thread coming off the left side where it looks like a "P".)

After you have threaded everything top and bottom again, leave the bobbin cover off and hold the top thread in your hand while turning the hand wheel. Watch to see if the top thread is being caught by the bobbin thread as it goes around. If it is not, then it sounds like a timing issue.

This is just my opinion of course. I take older machines apart and service a lot of machines for friends. However, I don't mess with the computerized machines other than minimal issues.

Good luck and hope you get this resolved so you can sew! (Perhaps a cheap older backup is in your future???)

I agree. -- When you take the bobin assembly apart, watch for loose threads and lint. A tiny piece of thread or lint is all it takes to throw it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIr6C...eature=related

Is your pressure foot up or down when you thread the machine? I just found this site. He shows the importance of having the pressure foot up when you thread your machine.

I just learned something last week - had been given a Singer which I gave to my grandaughter for Christmas - she was having all kinds of tension problems with it, even though I had had it serviced before giving it to her. We went back to the shop where it had been serviced, and he asked if we always had the presser foot in the "up" position when re-threading. I looked blank - never thought of it. He said on all machines, it should be "up". Puts the tension discs in the correct position to receive the thread. That was the problem for her, and her mother said it probably explained some of the problems she had had in the past with various machines. Just food for thought on the re-threading advice!! J*

Look for lint anywhereyou can see into the machine. Did you happen to buy it at Ruthie's Notions in Florida. I bought one there and it is aweful to try to go back with the small things....Good Luck!

I had the same problem with my Janome. I took it to a Janome store and they worked on it. Seems they never adjusted the machine at the factory. Both the top tension and the bobbin winding tension were acting up.

Blog Entries
    When you unthread your machine make sure you are cutting
    the top thread, and pulling it down thru the needle. That is
    very important. I would call the dealer, except they would
    ask you to bring it in. They may have other ideas. Good
    Luck, Try also making sure your bobbin thread is being fed
    from the bottom of the case not the top. Good Luck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tealfalcon
    yes its def a tension issue and i have played with it some after posting this...but still its the same....ugh ugh ugh.....it was bought down in florida so i cant just run and take it in. but yes it is under warranty
    you can take it to any Baby Lock dealer It should not matter where you got it from, and it sounds like they can fix your problem. I had a problem with mine and I think it was the thread I put in a new spool and it stopped the problem I was having.

If you moved from another state, or at least say that you did, and the shop wants your business they will help you...without charge...if not maybe there is another shop close that will help....Most shops have a problem with people that buy elsewhere because they get a cheaper price...that's because they won't have to worry about the waranty...they just don't tell you that is why you got a better price...I know that Bernina shops in my area, at least the one I go to, state in their website that they don't sell outside their area...for that reason...But again if the shop knows that you are going to be coming there for your machine needs they probably will help you...

Blog Entries
    Every time my machine top thread seems to be laying flat, it is a bobbin problem. Usually the thread has slipped out of one of the bobbin thread channels or has come out of the bobbin threading sequence.

Make sure your needle is in right, the flat edge goes in the back. I have found this to remedy many a complaint that I have been asked about, the needle is not in properly. Look at our needle and be sure to put it in right.

Carol F.

Is it under warranty still

Blog Entries
    yes its def a tension issue and i have played with it some after posting this...but still its the same....ugh ugh ugh.....it was bought down in florida so i cant just run and take it in. but yes it is under warranty
    I have the BabyLock Ellure and I have tension problems too. I have learned to set my stitch length at 2.5 and
    the thread tension 2 notches to right of auto. Hope this makes sense to you. Dont know what model machine you have.

Blog Entries
    I have a Babylock and just took some classes with my machine. One of the exercises we did in class was to change the tension by one number and sew a bit (make sure to mark on the quilt sandwich tester block which tension setting you are using). Then when you have used them all, review which setting is the best for your machine. When you change batting or technique, do the same exercise. It will help you set up the machine correctly from the beginning rather than turn the project over and HOPE it's done well.

The teacher also suggested that we should invest in an additional bobbin case IF we plan to muck around with it. Once you adjust it, getting it back to "right" can be difficult.

are you sewing the same level of thickness or the same type of fabric, if you are sewing a different level of thickness or even different fabric, you have to adjust the tension, also make sure to clean lint out of the machine, and rethread both bobbin and top. hope this helps

Blog Entries
    Make sure your presser foot is down when you adjust the top tension.

Yay I fixed it....with my mil's help on the phone.....cleaned the whole bobbin area and whala it sews beautifuly thanks ladies
    Wha-a-a-aWho-o-o-o for you! I know the feeling of working hours with finding that little piece of thread, lint or whatever the machine decided it did not like. Seems those little gears and levers have a real mind of their own. Glad you got it fixed.

Blog Entries
    I have a can of compressed air that I use to clean out the bobbin area. Just dont watch too close or you will end up with lint up your nose, in your eyes or in your mouth.

I have 2 babylocks and have not had the problem...if you are under warenty you can take it to any babylock dealer... check the internet to see the one near you....I had a bobbin case nick on my Ellageo, bought in Fl., I took it to a dealer in NC and they sanded my bobbin case for me and it worked fine love my Adury it was my Christmas present this year form my DH...He saw me sitting watching my big machine embroidery and ask me what could I be doing if I had a smaller machine...You have to remember we live in a RV...I told him I could sew...sew...sew
    he is one who enables....He loves to go so we are always finding new QS or on our way to Joanns or Handcocks....he is a keeper.

It sounds to me as if your top thread is too tight, therefore, not being pulled to the middle of the thickness you are stitching. If the top tension is set above zero, you might consider giving it just a nudge toward zero. At the same time, tighten the bobbin tension 1/4 turn. Always adjust the top tension with the presser foot down.

If the top tension is 4 or 5 above zero, turn it at least 2 numbers toward zero and try this before doing anything to the bobbin tension.

As you pull both threads from the threaded machine with your hand (presser foot up), they should both pull with the same amount of tension.

Hope this helps.

I keep a hand vac ready to go between my two machines. The other day I cleaned that bobbin area at least 3 times and while it still sewed okay, I could tell by the sound there was some junk in there somewhere.

I looked, vacuumed, tried pipe cleaners, brush, pulled all apart that I could, wiped it with a nice clean cloth, put it back together. Sewed great for about 6 inches and there was the noise again!

I figured I'd try one more time and if that didn't do it, I'd sew until it broke. Then we'd be able to see what was causing the problem. EXCEPT this time, I taped part of a toilet paper tube to the end of the already small end so it was just a smidgen of suction area. That did it!

Wherever and whatever it was just popped right in there and it's been great ever since. I have no idea where that "piece" was lurking, but it was big enough to make a sound!

I immediately ordered one of those small area tube attachments which came today and is even smaller than my toilet paper tube one.

My little Fuller hand vac and I are getting to be great friends.

Dee
    It sounds like you need a computer adjustment. This happened to me a few years back. 5 minutes and the repairman was done.

It sounds to me like the tension on the bobbin case is off. It sounds like it is too loose. Try taking the bobbin case with the bobbin in it and threaded the normal way and lay it flat in the palm of your hand. Make sure your hand is out flat. Now take the thread and lift up the bobbin case with it. The bobbin should almost, but not quite, come off your hand. If it comes up off your hand then it is too tight and if it unwinds too easy, it is too loose. The bigger of the two screws on your bobbin case is what adjusts the tension. Good luck. Hope this helps

Power Poster
    Rethread the bobbin and brush and blow out every area where the bobbin sits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast