Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Making Quilt Kits for Vacation >

Help Making Quilt Kits for Vacation

Help Making Quilt Kits for Vacation

Old 01-09-2018, 06:00 AM

when I was making a quilt on vacation, I didn't worry about batting or back.
Did that at home or bought the stuff where i was, there wasn't room enough to quilt it or not that I was comfortable with (in a trailer 25' and 30' - different years!) I did bring enough to make three tops though just never got to make more than two.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 AM

I pick my pattern and then cut out the tops, and bag them. 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags are wonderful to put a whole cut out quilt in. They can be used over and over again.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:44 AM

I buy my backing last also. That way I know how much to buy. It is usually the fabric that dictates the quilt for me. The focus fabric that catches my attention then the pattern. But sometimes I find the pattern and look for fabric but not very often.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Beautiful quilt Thimblebug. Handy list also-I always think I am going to forget the one tool I need when I travel and will have lugged all the stuff unnecessarily. (PS I never pick the backing first.)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 PM

Beautiful quilt Thimblebug. Handy list also-I always think I am going to forget the one tool I need when I travel and will have lugged all the stuff unnecessarily. (PS I never pick the backing first.)
Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nesie View Post
my hubby says.....don't worry if you forget to pack something, there is always a walmart nearby. (or quilt shop) lol. ooooh....I'm starting to forget......where is my memory......lets go shopping!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:21 AM

When traveling, I like to have every piece pre cut, except for the borders. Backing isn’t usually even a thought until after the top is finished. I am 50/50, sometimes I pick pattern then fabric, other times it is a fabric I love that I look for a pattern for.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 AM

I really like your quilt, Thimblebug. It is beautiful in every way. It looks like the vacation period of time is up to two months long. I think that calls for some planning. It also depends on how much time you have to get ready for your projects on this trip. Choose one pattern (or more). Start collecting fabrics in stacks with the patterns. Cut the appropriate amounts and put them in plastic bags. I like to cut strips and subcut them only if I have time. I am a big fan of plastic bags that are well labeled. Collect the plastic bags of pieces into bigger bags. Wind up with one big bag (2 gallon) for each project. If you take more projects than you can accomplish, you have pre-made kits for next time. Try to take a minimum of equipment. Planning ahead is the key. When we travel in our camper I find that the pre-planning yields big rewards along the way.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM

When I was going to be without my sewing room for a few months, I bagged sets of coordinated fat quarters and a couple of background possibilities, along with a Fat Quarter Quilts book and cutting tools. I also took along a couple of languishing UFO's, knowing that they had a better chance of getting finished with less distracting competition from other projects!