Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help Making Quilt Kits for Vacation

Help Making Quilt Kits for Vacation

My friend will be vacationing in Florida in March and April. She want to make quilt kits so she can produce tops while she has more time than usual. My thought was to pick backing first then choose the pattern next and the fabric last. Does anyone have suggestions how to do this?

Why pick backing first? I would think picking what she wants to make, i. e., bed, lap quilt, tablerunner, wall hanging, etc. Then decide on pattern(s), then fabric, and finally either good grade muslin, or expensive fabric for backing. I guess you can surmize I use muslin for most things I do.....just my personal choice. Jmho

If her intention is produce tops, don't worry about the backing until the top is finished. Choose the pattern, or a focus fabric then the pattern, fabrics, then start cutting the pieces. If she plans on quilting them while down there then by all means pack the backing and batting as well. But I have never started a quilt by choosing the backing first (although sometimes one of the fabrics I use in the top is also used for the backing, at which time I already have the pattern and top fabrics chosen then I just buy MORE of the backing fabric).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

If she is not going to do the quilting on vacation, and she is not going to use a fabric from the top for the backing, I would wait with it. But if she is going to use a fabric from the top, I would get the backing when you buy the fabric, otherwise it might not be available when you go to buy it later. Muslin is a good choice and can be purchased almost anywhere, anytime.
    But I agree, decide what first (lap, queen, wall hanging...), then pattern, then fabric. Cut the big pieces of fabric down to manageable size that makes sense for the pattern (I try to avoid having to deal with yardage in kits)
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I'm also in agreement that I always choose the backing last, however, I'm usually not very concerned with the backing closely coordinating with the top. As DogHOuseMom mentioned, I will sometimes use one of the top fabrics.
    When I'm on vacation, I don't want to tax my brain too much. I would choose patterns I was familiar with, or maybe do the same pattern in a couple different color ways. If transportation is available, I would also consider fabric shopping while down there. A quilt top with fabric purchased on vacation is a great souvenir. She could also look for backing fabric!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Does she have a sewing machine there? If so I might look at Missouri Star Quilt co. videoson YouTube because Jenny gives the fabric requirements for each quilt.
    If she doesn't have a machine, I would look for hand applique or Redwork blocks.

There are sellers on Ebay that have laser cut kits ready to sew. That would be a quick way to get started sewing. Jordan's Fabrics have Quilt store grade fabric in their precut kits. https://jordanfabrics.com/

If she likes handwork, hexagons are mostly hand sewn and could be an interesting project. When I travel, I like to do Judy Niemeyer quilts. Not being at home helps me concentrate. Judy's instructions tells you how to precut all the different parts and put into different bags, then you start sewing to the actual paper piecing patterns. She will end up with a spectacular quilt. This is only a good idea if she already knows something about paper piecing. http://www.quiltworx.com/
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

When I go on vacation I kit up blocks into little baggies and take a copy of the pattern with me. In 2012 I stitched this full scrappy star quilt just doing one star at a time in each place where we camped. I only had to take my FW with a couple thread spools, one June Tailor cut and press, small travel iron, rotary cutter and 6 x 12" ruler and snips. (I think) Name:  Bound002 (Small).JPG
Views: 1391
Size:  83.9 KB When I came home I sandwiched and quilted it for a comfort quilt. Not sure if this helps or not.... and usually the backing is chosen last.

I always pick backing last in fact I just had a quilt quilted over the summer that took me 3 years to finish piecing and I purchased backing right before I had it quilted. I usually find a fabric line I like and dig through my many patterns and go buy the fabric for the top
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    When I go on vacation I kit up blocks into little baggies and take a copy of the pattern with me. In 2012 I stitched this full scrappy star quilt just doing one star at a time in each place where we camped. I only had to take my FW with a couple thread spools, one June Tailor cut and press, small travel iron, rotary cutter and 6 x 12" ruler and snips. (I think) Name:  Bound002 (Small).JPG
Views: 1391
Size:  83.9 KB When I came home I sandwiched
    and quilted it for a comfort quilt. Not sure if this helps or not.... and usually the backing is chosen last.
    Love this quilt. The colors are beautiful and everything comes together so nicely!!! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    when I was making a quilt on vacation, I didn't worry about batting or back.
    Did that at home or bought the stuff where i was, there wasn't room enough to quilt it or not that I was comfortable with (in a trailer 25' and 30' - different years!) I did bring enough to make three tops though just never got to make more than two.
    MargieD

Blog Entries
    I pick my pattern and then cut out the tops, and bag them. 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags are wonderful to put a whole cut out quilt in. They can be used over and over again.

I buy my backing last also. That way I know how much to buy. It is usually the fabric that dictates the quilt for me. The focus fabric that catches my attention then the pattern. But sometimes I find the pattern and look for fabric but not very often.

Beautiful quilt Thimblebug. Handy list also-I always think I am going to forget the one tool I need when I travel and will have lugged all the stuff unnecessarily. (PS I never pick the backing first.)

Beautiful quilt Thimblebug. Handy list also-I always think I am going to forget the one tool I need when I travel and will have lugged all the stuff unnecessarily. (PS I never pick the backing first.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesie View Post
    my hubby says.....don't worry if you forget to pack something, there is always a walmart nearby. (or quilt shop) lol. ooooh....I'm starting to forget......where is my memory......lets go shopping!

When traveling, I like to have every piece pre cut, except for the borders. Backing isnít usually even a thought until after the top is finished. I am 50/50, sometimes I pick pattern then fabric, other times it is a fabric I love that I look for a pattern for.

I really like your quilt, Thimblebug. It is beautiful in every way. It looks like the vacation period of time is up to two months long. I think that calls for some planning. It also depends on how much time you have to get ready for your projects on this trip. Choose one pattern (or more). Start collecting fabrics in stacks with the patterns. Cut the appropriate amounts and put them in plastic bags. I like to cut strips and subcut them only if I have time. I am a big fan of plastic bags that are well labeled. Collect the plastic bags of pieces into bigger bags. Wind up with one big bag (2 gallon) for each project. If you take more projects than you can accomplish, you have pre-made kits for next time. Try to take a minimum of equipment. Planning ahead is the key. When we travel in our camper I find that the pre-planning yields big rewards along the way.

When I was going to be without my sewing room for a few months, I bagged sets of coordinated fat quarters and a couple of background possibilities, along with a Fat Quarter Quilts book and cutting tools. I also took along a couple of languishing UFO's, knowing that they had a better chance of getting finished with less distracting competition from other projects!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!