Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help on making T-Shirt Quilt >

Help on making T-Shirt Quilt

Help on making T-Shirt Quilt

Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM

I just finished one for my husband. You're right mucky the math is tricky. I used a thin fusible. My sister made a rag t-shirt quilt with flannel for the backing, quilting each block and then ragging them.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 AM

The best suggestion I have seen is to look at the pictures on the shirts and cut them out in measurements where the finished size is divisible by 3. This way you can cut the smaller designs out without too much white space left over and cut out the bigger designs without anything cut off. Then fit them together like a puzzle. You can use the front and back of the t-shirts if there is a design on both. The t-shirt quilt book I got said that the t-shirt quilts are more challenging to quilt through and may be more appropriate to do on a LA. They are so much fun to do. I have made 2 already and have 3 more cut to start soon.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Here is a link to one that I did that all the blocks are cut the same size and set with sashing and cornerstones. I used the small pocket imprints as cornerstones. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t47094.html

The border was made simply sewing the T-Shirt blocks together.

I have made close to a dozen T-shirt quilts in this design, they are quick and easy. I use Pellon featherweight fusible interfacing. I have no trouble attaching my fusible after I have cut my T-shirt but some T's tend to curl a bit upon cutting. I just can't stand wasting any of the interfacing so that is why I cut a bunch of pieces of fusible and have them at the ready for my cut T-shirt imprint.

Stormwater is dead on about iron heat and melting/smearing the imprint ink. I always use a pressing cloth which is just a scrap of muslin. This keeps me from smearing the imprint.

T-shirt quilts are HEAVY. So be prepared for that. I never tried to quilt one on my domestic sewing machine, I always hand tied them with DNC embroider floss (3 strands). But that was prior to getting my LA. I won't hesitate to LA one and if you can swing it I would recommend sending it out to a LAer to avoid much grief and frustration.

I have written out instructions for how to make the T-shirt quilt I pictured. If you want them, PM me your email address and I will send the document. I never measured how much total yardage you need for the sashing, but I had 5 yards of that fabric, my sashing was 3" unfinished and I had loads left over so I bet 2 to 2 1/2 yards would be ample.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Great advise on these...I am SO glad I asked ahead of starting...I think I will be wasteful and fuse the interfacing before cutting...just so I don't make a mess. I will PM for your instructions feline fanatic! Thanks.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
Then fit them together like a puzzle..
I created a set of rectangles the color and dimensions of each of my t-shirt blocks and moved it around in a drawing program, but you could do the same thing with paper cutouts. It allows you to play withe the color placement without having it spread out on the floor for too long.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 PM

I think I have figured out a design...tomorrow I can start cutting!

Question....what do you do to straighten a shirt to get the design centered correctly? One of the t-shirts has gotten out of shape from washing and now has those twisted seams and the design it a bit off.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Tip I thought of...but maybe not original...To line up the placement of the interfacing so I didn't miss an area...I put 4 flat pins above, below and each side of the design to be cut out (on the front), then turned it over and made sure it was centered over all the pins...and tried to keep it equal. Iron on interfacing, remove pins and cut.