Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me brain storm what to do with my purple & blacks >

Help me brain storm what to do with my purple & blacks

Help me brain storm what to do with my purple & blacks

Old 08-09-2016, 11:16 AM

I could see a very lovely braid quilt done with the print as the large center square of each braid, black as the small squares at each intersection and your assorted purples for the rectangles.
Somewhere I saw a picture where the braids had the big squares at different points along the braids for each one instead of all grouped in a line across the middle. Really liked that look! Sorry I don't recall even what site I saw it on - might have been here???
Old 08-09-2016, 11:21 AM

Such luscious colors.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
My first thought was maybe leave out the reddish purple (3rd from L and 3rd from R) as Madquilter suggested too.

I was thinking you could do a log cabin-so many ways to arrange the blocks and since your center fabric is the one you are working around maybe use that as your center square, and if you went with that the 2 dark ones with the blue and white would be out for the light side.
If you want more color yellow being the compliment of purple you could add that, if it were pale enough it could be used with the blue and white. I think it would be doable to find yellows that go well with blue too.

You could also do a sampler quilt using this idea, not all blocks would need all the fabrics in each block, but there would be some of them in one block and some others in other blocks. See below. Find quilt blocks you would want to learn or make some of your favorites and have them all together. A dresdan plate block could use each blade a different fabric and have most if not all the fabrics in that one block. And if you run out of one or two fabrics it wouldn't matter as the variety will have something in common with the whole.

I have this book. And the newer one she published. My very first quilt class was based on this book. Oh, nostalgia. Sniff. I still haven't finished that quilt. And yes, it was based in purple. ;-).
Old 08-09-2016, 05:17 PM

If your up for a challenge one that is on my bucket list that I think would be stunning w/ your colors is The Wedding Star http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...uilt&FORM=IGRE
Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 PM

This one specifically w/ its gradated b/w and purple star http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...8o0&ajaxhist=0
Old 08-09-2016, 05:25 PM

I love everyone's ideas. They're helping a great deal.

I'm considering just doing a simple kaleidoscope. It would allow me to cut large pieces and preserve the flowers.

Here's one of my color schemes. The red-est purple would be the purple-black floral I showed in my original post. The rest of the kaleidoscope triangles would either be in medium or dark purples that read solid or black/white prints.

I need to photograph and import my fabrics to really audition them, but it would look something like this. Strangely, the fabrics look very different in Electric Quilt than they do in an export from the program. In reality, some of those grey prints are actually black. I like them as grey. Unfortunately, I don't have the right grey.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555687[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails purple2.jpg  

Last edited by TeresaA; 08-09-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
If your up for a challenge one that is on my bucket list that I think would be stunning w/ your colors is The Wedding Star http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...uilt&FORM=IGRE
Love that in a scrappy multi scheme. I'd need something to drive that to completion -- as in MORE COLORS. I have my doubts I could motivate myself to do it in a two-color scheme.

Beautiful quilt. I can't wait to see yours!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:21 AM

I like the colors you have chosen and would not add orange, or yellow, or anything else. The kaleidoscope idea looks just great - have you considered Winding Ways with curves? A sampler containing just a hint of the focus print in each block, bordered with the print might also look good.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

Love your choice of fabrics. As with many others, purple is my favorite color.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:16 AM

Well, since I'm a Maryland girl, there's only ONE right thing to do with purple and black fabric: Make a Baltimore Ravens quilt and send it to me!

If you'd rather have another option, take a look at the Butterfly House pattern by Benartex.com. It is a modern one that is well suited to large prints, monochromatic, or a mix. I started it (got all the cutting done) then changed my mind only because of the recipient (I went to the helix quilt). Warning: I hate the pattern as it's written (very confusing to me). But that could just be my brain. The pattern is quite enticing . It's shown in black and white.

Here it is. Free pattern:
http://www.benartex.com/catalogsearc...utterfly+house

Last edited by zozee; 08-10-2016 at 05:19 AM.