Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me decide - How to attach binding >

Help me decide - How to attach binding

Help me decide - How to attach binding

Old 08-04-2014, 03:47 PM

Default Help me decide - How to attach binding

Hi Everyone,

I usually machine stitch my bindings on. They come out OK but not GREAT. I've decided, since going to the quilt show at the fair yesterday, that I'm going to really make an effort to improve my quilt making skills, and hand stitching bindings is one of those things on that list.

So here's my question: I expect to finish quilting the baby quilt I've been working on tonight. It's a gift for a friend. I hate to experiment on a gift, but on the other hand, maybe it will come out nice. I'm also a little nervous that with many washings, as baby quilts often have, my hand stitching may not hold up as well as a machine stitched binding.

Thoughts?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:52 PM

I always hand stitch my bindings on and they hold up just fine. Just keep your stitches small and I think it will be just fine. Since it's a gift for a friend's baby, you might offer free repair service if needed. Love to see a picture when it's done.
Sue
Old 08-04-2014, 03:57 PM

I agree that a hand stitched binding is the one for a gift quilt. Like you, my machine stitched bindings are serviceable but are not great. So I usually machine sew the binding on the front, turn it and hand stitch down on The back. I do use small stitches, probably 12 to an inch or so, and they don't show.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Ok. I'm going to give it a try. How exciting!! Thank you!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:19 PM

I just finished hand stitching my first binding. I don't know that it's 100% correct but it went pretty quickly and you have to look for the stitches. That was with double thread and a color that didn't quite match, it was the same thread I used for quilting. With the correct color and single thread the stitches would be invisible and I'm a ham fisted guy who can barely sew by hand. Jenny Doan (MSQC) and Lizzie Lenard (spelling? Muv here on the board) both have great Youtube videos showing how.
Rodney
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Google "ladder stitch". It's fast, easy, and invisible. I don't have to use pins or clips when I hand sew the binding using the ladder stitch. I think you'll find it relaxing and enjoyable.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 PM

I use the ladder stitch when sewing my binding on also. I've always hand sewn the last round and the bindings have held up just fine.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Ok. That was the next question, ladder stitch or blind stitch. I can't quite remember how to do either one, but I'll go back through my notes for review. I took some sewing classes at the junior college years ago. Hopefully it will come back to me. Rodney, I think I have seen the Jenny Doan youtube, so I'm going to look again for it.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 PM

I sew the binding on by machine on the front of the quilt and then fold the binding over and hand stitch the binding on the back - I knot the thread and bury it about every 5 inches just to make sure that the binding will hold. I have done it on every quilt - about 25 over the past 4 years. Works for me.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 PM

Do you all use clips? Can it be pinned?

(Never mind, I watched the Jenny Doan youtube and she answered the question at the end.)

Last edited by AllyStitches; 08-04-2014 at 07:05 PM.