Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Me Decide..... >

Help Me Decide.....

Help Me Decide.....

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i vote for the current studio. as another poster said, you can use some of the downstairs for extra storage. the light upstairs is wonderful
Put in my vote for this way. I've done both and love the natural light. Much better for working with the fabrics, etc.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 AM

I like your studio...if it is small it is still delightful, colorful and practical. My "studio" (I like that word too) is the same size as yours. I have a large window and I love to gaze out looking at the rest of the world. I notice your sewing machine is right in front of your window. My window makes me feel part of the world... I wouldn't trade that for a few more feet of space. Hope you get to stay in your house... many of us feel your situation and hope for better times tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Awesome room, love your center/studio desk.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Oh my goodness...Grann of 6, what a gorgeous studio! It is wonderful to hear and see a dream come true. Enjoy!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Well, it sort of depends on when you do your sewing. If you sew a lot during the day and make use of the natural lighting it may be nice to stay where you are. If on the other hand you sew into the evening when the shadows abound, you might do just as well by moving down into the family area and use the "natural" kind of light bulbs. I have a window in my small room and I love to look outside every once in a while and enjoy the flowers and the sky! I notice your sewing machine is right in front of the window so you must do this too. I would miss the scenery and on the nice days when my windows are open, I would miss the fresh air....but then I've never had a chance for "MORE SPACE". I think I would still stay with the view, if it's a nice and relaxing one!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Okay. I am going to throw in some ideas. I moved my sewing room to the basement to become a sewing studio several years ago. I fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine. Now, I live alone with 2 large dogs, so I can be wherever I want. I had my basement finished off into a dream studio. I don't miss the sunlight; am too busy creating. I have lots of pot lights in the ceiling. I moved to this house to be done with stairs, but decided I wanted more sewing space. I will be 70 next month and my exercise is going up and down the stairs. I have posted pics before, but if you want I can post them again. I have just turned the GKs sleepover room into a quilting room with the new long arm quilting machine in there. If I need some light I just go upstairs and look out the window. As far as the permanence of the situation, that has to be your decision.
Oh my gosh, I am so :mrgreen: ! What a drop dead georgous room. I see you do have a little bit of natural light. If I had a bathroom and a fridge down there I would never leave! LOL Just seeing it made me want to sew!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by sunni
Our basement is finished and that is where our family room and both our "offices" are. I think I have a picture of it, I'll attach it.

The family room is a very large "L" shaped room, the short side of the L is where my "office" space is and my Cross Stitch Stash hangs out there too :)

Actually I am more isolated upstairs LOL but I do like my room, alot :)

The first picture is part of the long end of the "L" you can't see DH's "office" space in it, but it would be behind me as I took the picture

The second picture is what is to my back in the first one....now the lighter color like the first one, for some reason I don't have pictures of the whole thing in the new color.

The third pic is of the short end, and my space. It is no longer green either, it is light, believe me the room is all one color LOL

robin
As the new space seems to have an outside door, you could add a window....
Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 AM

I think I would stay where I'm at. As said before, try it out. But, it sounds as though it would be a great storage area.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
The room you have looks beautiful. I think I would go for the natural light over the extra room. Face it,you could always sneak some fabrics and books down there for more space upstairs-we'll never tell on you!

Plus-I know if I go up & down stairs too much it bothers my knees. Don't know how old you are but I'm not 50 (yet!) so this is also something to think about.
I, too would go for the natural light over more space. Also, moving and re-settling workspace isn't as easy as it sounds, paint job aside. That, plus the possibility of your moving, makes staying put with the natural light a better choice in my view. Maybe you can use the larger space as a sorting/organizing room to make the smaller natural light space work better....?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 AM

If what you have is working and you like it, why change?