Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Decide.....

Right now my sewing "studio" (I like that word) is on the main level of our house. I'll include one picture here, so you can get an idea. The room is about 11x11 with 2 great windows.

We have a bedroom downstairs in our finished basement that is about 18 or 20 x 12 that can be mine if I want it.

Part of me would love the much larger space, but hate the idea of painting it (it's smurf blue right now, used to be DD's room) and moving all that stuff out and my stuff down. Also wonder if I will miss all the natural light.

The other part of me wavering on making a decision is I don't know how long we will be staying in this house. We would like to stay at least 3 more years, but with me still not getting steady work, that may not happen.

Help me decide please :)

robin

current room
    Name:  Attachment-210454.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  30.3 KB

Blog Entries
    The room you have looks beautiful. I think I would go for the natural light over the extra room. Face it,you could always sneak some fabrics and books down there for more space upstairs-we'll never tell on you!

Plus-I know if I go up & down stairs too much it bothers my knees. Don't know how old you are but I'm not 50 (yet!) so this is also something to think about.

Me personally, if its not a permanent move, I wouldn't do it, its a lot of work to paint and move all that stuff if you don't know if you will be there long. If you were in a more permanent situation I would do it just for the bigger space.

Your studio is beautiful. I love to have a window to look out once in awhile and love the natural light. In the basement, you would only have artificial lighting and I do think you would miss the daylight, I know I would. Good luck.

Kas
    I would go with the natural light.

Power Poster
    I like being on the main floor.

Blog Entries
    i vote for the current studio. as another poster said, you can use some of the downstairs for extra storage. the light upstairs is wonderful

See you girls are all thinking the same way as I am....I've had this debate with myself before and you can see where it got me LOL

robin

See you girls are all thinking the same way as I am....I've had this debate with myself before and you can see where it got me LOL

robin

I would keep the same room. Especially if it is further away. That is alot of work.

I think that I would feel isolated if I were downstairs. I don't have a sewing room. I have a table in our bonus room and a another table for ironing/cutting etc on the other side of the bonus room. I like that I can sew for a bit, get up and tend to the kids and then go back to sewing. If I had to sew downstairs, I probably won't get much done. I wouldn't go to the basement.... its lonely down there and no good light. My vote is for staying put.

I agree with the idea of keeping the room you have, natural light, a window, no paint fumes and you are not having to move all your stuff. I prefer to be where I can see and hear the world around me.

I would keep this room, it is so bright and cheerful.I need to see daylight to stay normal

I would stay upstairs and turn the room downstairs into your "closet" for your extra fabrics and books and things that are not "needed" at the moment. If you want to know how you would feel about being in the basement, move a machine down there and work for a week sewing and doing most of your work down there. take a medium size mat down there to use and your iron and board and see how it floats you before your go to the trouble of moving and painting. to take care of the blue color you could hang up some of your favorite fabrics on the walls for the week.

Our basement is finished and that is where our family room and both our "offices" are. I think I have a picture of it, I'll attach it.

The family room is a very large "L" shaped room, the short side of the L is where my "office" space is and my Cross Stitch Stash hangs out there too :)

Actually I am more isolated upstairs LOL but I do like my room, alot :)

The first picture is part of the long end of the "L" you can't see DH's "office" space in it, but it would be behind me as I took the picture

The second picture is what is to my back in the first one....now the lighter color like the first one, for some reason I don't have pictures of the whole thing in the new color.

The third pic is of the short end, and my space. It is no longer green either, it is light, believe me the room is all one color LOL

robin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I love natural light - so would opt to stay upstairs. I had my sewing space in our basement at one point out of necessity -but must say I'm grateful to be back up in a space with windows.

Beautiful space, I would keep it.

Blog Entries
    Upstairs, natural light, no painting, more time to quilt. :)

:thumbup:

My sewing room is approx. 10 x 13 sort of the same size as yours and although it is a little on the small size, it's on the lst floor which I love. Only 1 window in mine but if I were you, I would prefer the natural light. I keep and store lots of my fabrics in the basement in see through totes and they keep beautifully. Makes more room for me this way in my sewing room...

I vote for the upstairs room with the windows.Smaller is okay.

Your present room looks great, would love to have more room. Rooms are small and I share with my four cats.

I would like being on the main floor.

Don't base your decision on what may or may not happen in your future, though. Make your decision based on what you really want for right now. If you really want to make the move, you won't mind the work and you'll be happier in the long run.

Blog Entries
    I had my sewing room on a different level than the main area, and I always dragged my machine and stuff to the kitchen table because I was "lonely" on the other level. When I moved into this house, I had the same option and chose the main level bedroom, one because of the natural light from 2 windows and two because there are no stairs this way.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast