Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me get the wonk out of this fabric >

Help me get the wonk out of this fabric

Help me get the wonk out of this fabric

Old 12-25-2011, 11:26 AM

For the fractured flowers technique, it is not so critical that they are exactly the same, as for OBW. And, you don't have to cut the squares on the grain ... you're using the gridded fusible for this? That will keep things straight for you!

But I'd still try to block them to get them behaving as best you can.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
start in the center---line up the designs---pinning them together so the match perfectly- then smooth the fabric out from them--your outter edges will have to be re-straightened-but your motifs should be lined up- problem with using panals is they are seldom printed exactly alike- and once fabrics have been pre-washed the wonky-ness really becomes apparent- in some cases it is better to forgo the prewashing part---but too late now- the only thing to do is line up the designs---but it may still be impossible-they may not even be the same size anymore- putting them together and pinning them will show you if their size is off too.
good luck.
I agree and also with "Raptureready". These are stamped and not woven, so squaring is nigh on to impossible...hope these methods work for you.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:35 AM

The block you describe is possibly called *FourPatch Posey* (google that). The technique for OBW and stack and whack and poseys regarding pinmatching the layers of fabric is pretty much the same... and you do NOT wash the fabric first.. its a BIGGIE... not washing it.. as it distorts the prints and you cant pinmatch them. You could try the suggestions on trying to reshape your fabric with steam and whatever.. but if it was me i would use the panels for something else... and get four layers of new fabric...... hard as that sounds.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:43 AM

When i google fractured flower, i see that someone did publish a variation of using a fourpatch in stack and whack technique, i.e. the difference being in poseys all the same corners go towards the middle, in the fractured-flowers they are all kept vertical in their same orientation... Interesting.
But... still... the washing and ironing may have changed your fabric enuf that you could think of using it for something else, and trying again on the fabric choice....
Old 12-25-2011, 04:01 PM

The only way I have been able to get the "wonk" out is to wet the piece(s) and pin them to something flat and then let them dry. Joann's has a corrugated board that folds up for dressmakers but works for this because it has a grid on it and you can place a panel on it and stick pins in it to line up the design. I usually don't wet the fabric with water, I use fabric finish (like spray starch but not as stiff). Line up and pin the first panel in a few places then repeat with the additional panels. I have been known to take a blow dryer to it to be able to get on with my project!
Old 12-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Don't know how how to fix this but when I do stack and whack I do not wash the fabric that way I get no stretch or distortion. Hope someone helps you so we all learn how to correct such a problem.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:17 PM

Is it possible to return these panels?? Other than that I really can't think of any thing that hasn't been suggested here on this board. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.