Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help me out i,m stuck

Help me out i,m stuck

Hi every one
    I am working on this scrappy quilt and this is what i have so far.
    I want to make it bigger and not sure what to add to it .
    Was looking at maybe flying geese or a chain link block .
    But I keep thinking because i have the small blocks on the out side now it .
    Could be to busy .
    Any ideas
    Thanks
    where would i be with out you guys for help lol
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not certain how much bigger you would like to make it. I would add an outside thin strip of the white to "border" the squares on point. Then I would repeat a 4 patch element from the inside of the quilt. Or even a complete outside row or the blocks all the way around. There are lots of options with scrappies. Love the colors.

How much wider do you want it? A suggestion is another border, maybe white, and then use a scrappy binding. but if you want it wider than that, I like toverly's suggestion
    Alyce

Think smaller blocks like the inside blocks ?

Blog Entries
    This looks like a happy quilt. I agree with toverly that it needs another thin white border like your inside border, then I can see a border of scrappy, whimsical flying geese with the bottoms of the geese on a horizontal line, but vary the angles and shapes of the triangle sides. Would love to see a picture of the finished quilt.

Maybe go with more borders but not pieced ones. Or perhaps the next border a border that "reads" solid & the next one a pieced border. Also, remember that the borders don't have to be the same width on both sides. So if you want the quilt longer but not wider, just put a wider border on the top & bottom to make it longer.
    I really like pieced borders & here's a site that shows a few for some ideas that might help you.

http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...ed-border-fit/

That is really really pretty!! I'd go with another mini of white first...then audition different pieced borders... If you are feeling adventurous, you could do a wide white border and applique floral's or .....different size circles in contrast to the squares. I'm an appliquér so that is what I would probably do... It's gonna rock regardless of what you do...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Linear borders of marbled fabric. Pink, purple, turquoise or whatever color combo suits you. Bind it in the third color.

Piano keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodora View Post
    Piano keys.
    That was my thought, a white border followed by colored piano keys. The colored piano keys would function like a wide colored border.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodora View Post
    Piano keys.
    That was exactly my thought too...in scrappy colors.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

If you used the piano keys border you would create a 'heavy' feel to the outside of your quilt that otherwise has a 'light' feeling because of the use of so much white. If, on the other hand, you used the idea toverly suggested you would continue the 'light' appearance. I think I would make a small section of each idea and audition them. But, please don't forget to show us what you choose. Your quilt is very pretty.

If you still have plenty of scraps, you could add an appliqued vine out of them. Or perhaps small basket blocks which would echo your on-point squares?

Depending on how much bigger you want it - I would take off the border you have now and add two more rows of blocks. Then put a border back, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    That was my thought, a white border followed by colored piano keys. The colored piano keys would function like a wide colored border.
    My first thoughts were the same as Theodora and JustAbitCrazy. If you are concerned about that being heavy, use many more very light fabrics or put white in a lot or even every other one. Piano keys can be any length (width?) so you can make it the size you need.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I love your quilt! I like the idea of removing your on-point squares and just adding another row of your center blocks all around, then reattaching your squares border. It should have another border of white on the outside the same width as you have on the inside of it. Then use a brightly-colored binding to finish it all off. It's a beautiful quilt and will be worth the trouble.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

This is where designer software like EQ really comes in handy. It's going to be a pretty quilt when finished.

I might add a moderate border of white so that the diamonds have something on their outside. Someone else said a scrappy binding would add flavor. I love what you have so far, by the way.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

DJ