Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion need for a quilt

Suggestion need for a quilt

I made a co-worker a quilt for his soon to be daughter. It is 48 x 56. His wife washed, dried it and used it for about a month when he brought it back and said his wife wanted it bigger as in double the size so that her and the four kids can cuddle up in it. Should I take the time to make it bigger or not do anything with it. My feelings on it is that she didn't seem appreciative of it. I forgot to mention that she washed it in hot water and put it in the dryer on high heat and it shrunk about 3" all around. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest if she wants to go buy material (tell her how much to buy) for a large quilt if it’s to cover her and her kids, and you will make it, bet she doesn’t come back

Blog Entries
    I’m confused. Are they offering to pay you? Did they buy the first one from you or was it a gift?
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

i guess that is sort of a compliment. The firm, but polite, approach is required for this since you have to work with the husband. Tel him that you cannot alter the size of the quilt for the baby, but you could make another larger quilt for $$$ (insert amount) to cover costs of fabric, thread and batting.

I agree that this is nervy on the part of both husband and wife.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Wow, all I can say is the nerve if some people! It doesn’t matter if they paid you for the quilt or you did it out of the kindness of your heart I wouldn’t do that for them. If you are so inclined, I would offer to make them another quilt that they paid for, but would set boundaries and expectations in advance so that it doesn’t turn into a nightmare, but IMHO that would be asking for a headache.
    If you did this gratis or even if they paid you, I would just say “ I’m sorry, I made this quilt for your little baby, I’m so glad you liked it, but unfortunately I’m not able to make it bigger for you” and leave it at that. Remember, we are adults and we don’t have to justify saying no.
    Last edited by tallchick; 11-14-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    Lisa

I'd politely say, "Sorry, I have too many to complete right now, I'm glad you enjoyed the baby quilt." A firm reply is needed. After giving a baby quilt away, I had someone come back and ask for 3 quilts for their mother, grandmother and aunt. Uh, No.

I think it's nervy too. People nowadays. Since I'm such a pushover type person I'd probably make them a bigger quilt. I figure- hey at least they liked it. It would seem I can't say no, but I find it hard to turn down people who want a quilt. It might not get done soon though....
    Lori

Power Poster
    If they want something big to cuddle up in - five people? -

Suggest they buy some fleece at JoAnn's.

It frequently goes on sale and they can get it any size they want.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It was a gift. I'm not going to try to resize the quilt. If they don't want it then I will find someone who will appreciate it.

How disrespectful. Washing it in hot water and drying on high heat is not necessary. Some people do not think of quilts as being material, like shirts and dresses. You would not treat those clothes like that why treat quilts like that.
    I would not make a quilt for someone that did not treat a quilt better than that. Your body should be clean if you are going to cover with it to keep you warm.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Oh my gosh! That is so nervy!!!
    Hard to believe how some people behave.
    You made them a quilt and owe them absolutely nothing else!

How in the world would someone expect a quilter make a quilt bigger that has already been made? This whole deal has me shaking my head. You need to let them know that you do not quilt for hire and leave it at that. If you were to do them that "favor" their friends would come out of the woodwork and also want a quilt to cuddle in.

....and a hearty amen to what Susie said.

Did the co-worker pay for the original quilt or was it a gift? If he paid for it, then I would tell him it's his, if his wife wants a larger one, then give him a price for the larger, and may sure that you get at least 50% down. If it was a gift, I would let him know that you made it for his new daughter, NOT for everyone else to cuddle in.

Blog Entries
    start with telling him that Quilting is a Craft and an expensive one. It takes a lot of time too. then give him the costs associated with the size quilt he is talking about. tell him that is one reason you "gave" them the size quilt you did!

I am in the process of making my husband's quilt bigger. I had to rip off the binding on two sides, and then add the new blocks, batting and backing by Marti Michell's encased borders method. It's a big pain, esp. when the quilt is ending up so much bigger. Now I need to quilt it and re-bind it. It's a lot of trouble. Would have been easier just to make the top bigger before quilting and finishing the quilt.

I would just say no, you can't do it, and don't offer any further explanations. If you don't think it's too cheeky, you might tell your boss that you make quilts for sale... $XXX for the size she wants.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm with many who've already commented - this quilt is already 'finished' and the next will cost $XXX. I'd also make a suggestion on how to properly care for the one you've gifted them!

Some people just need to hear NO and that resets their expectations.

Just my .02
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

A simple no is all you need to say. No, I can't do that for you. Smile , walk away.

Remember, "no" is a complete sentence. In this case, I'd definitely use "No".
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
    Wow, all I can say is the nerve if some people! It doesn’t matter if they paid you for the quilt or you did it out of the kindness of your heart I wouldn’t do that for them. If you are so inclined, I would offer to make them another quilt that they paid for, but would set boundaries and expectations in advance so that it doesn’t turn into a nightmare, but IMHO that would be asking for a headache.
    If you did this gratis or even if they paid you, I would just say “ I’m sorry, I made this quilt for your little baby, I’m so glad you liked it, but unfortunately I’m not able to make it bigger for you” and leave it at that. Remember, we are adults and we don’t have to justify saying no.
    I couldn't have said it better.

Bearisgray - you made me truly LOL. Great answer! Some people don't deserve nice things.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
    Bearisgray - you made me truly LOL. Great answer! Some people don't deserve nice things.
    Fleece is nice - I have an old chunk of it that we use a lot - in fact, it took me about five years to even up the piece so that it folded up better. Actually, it's kind of pilled now - but, so what?

No need to hem, fringe, or anything. They can just buy a big piece and use it!!!! It's softer and fuzzier than most quilts - I do recommend washing on warm, not not - and drying on gentle -

But really - five people cuddling under one quilt? Maybe buy some sweat pants and sweat shirts if the house is chilly.

I love to make quilts and send them off to friends and family as a surprise. I've also made them as gifts for hse warmings, new babies etc...You learn who appreciates and who doesn't. Those who don't understand the cost and work that goes into it, get crossed off my list for future surprises or gifts.
    I see you said it was a gift...you now have learned the wife doesn't appreciate that it was a gift for a baby, not her and the other kids...also not caring to have the husb ask you abt washing instructions...So I agree...cross this couple off the list and just say...Sorry I have so many other commitments and leave it at that...I wouldn't offer to do anything even if they paid me...because somewhere along the makings they'd change their minds or want it done this way or that way...NO...one easy word...

I couldn't respond right away because I needed two hands to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Have people no manners?
    I mean, sure it's a compliment that they like your quilt enough to want a huge one, but, if you had painted an 8x10 they liked, would they dare ask you to add more canvas and paint it bigger?

I agree: say you don't do commission quilts. That settles it. That answer goes across the board so you don't have to worry if someone else will ask you to make one for them. (Unless, of course, you DO want to do a commission quilt?)

I've had people ask me to hem their kids' athletic shorts. I just say no, I don't do alterations for other people. (For me, I don't have the confidence--wouldn't want to screw up a pair and end up owing them a new one.) They say, "Oh, okay. I'll take it to a tailor." It wasn't hard once I started stating it as my policy.

Just when you think you’ve heard it all.......

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    think I'd laugh this off--say "thanks for liking the quilt, but it's darn near impossible to enlarge a quilt and wayyy beyond my 'pay grade'!" then add, something about not doing quilts on commission as the cost of making quilts is so high that adding in reasonable labor costs, that most people shy away from being willing to pay for them. that sets the stage that no large quilt is coming their way without a nice big check (make that two, an initial one to pay for materials, a 2nd one for completion). My guess if you make it obvious that it will take some $$ to get another quilt, they will back off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast