Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestion need for a quilt >

Suggestion need for a quilt

Suggestion need for a quilt

Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
Bearisgray - you made me truly LOL. Great answer! Some people don't deserve nice things.
Fleece is nice - I have an old chunk of it that we use a lot - in fact, it took me about five years to even up the piece so that it folded up better. Actually, it's kind of pilled now - but, so what?

No need to hem, fringe, or anything. They can just buy a big piece and use it!!!! It's softer and fuzzier than most quilts - I do recommend washing on warm, not not - and drying on gentle -

But really - five people cuddling under one quilt? Maybe buy some sweat pants and sweat shirts if the house is chilly.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM

I love to make quilts and send them off to friends and family as a surprise. I've also made them as gifts for hse warmings, new babies etc...You learn who appreciates and who doesn't. Those who don't understand the cost and work that goes into it, get crossed off my list for future surprises or gifts.
I see you said it was a gift...you now have learned the wife doesn't appreciate that it was a gift for a baby, not her and the other kids...also not caring to have the husb ask you abt washing instructions...So I agree...cross this couple off the list and just say...Sorry I have so many other commitments and leave it at that...I wouldn't offer to do anything even if they paid me...because somewhere along the makings they'd change their minds or want it done this way or that way...NO...one easy word...
Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM

I couldn't respond right away because I needed two hands to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Have people no manners?
I mean, sure it's a compliment that they like your quilt enough to want a huge one, but, if you had painted an 8x10 they liked, would they dare ask you to add more canvas and paint it bigger?

I agree: say you don't do commission quilts. That settles it. That answer goes across the board so you don't have to worry if someone else will ask you to make one for them. (Unless, of course, you DO want to do a commission quilt?)

I've had people ask me to hem their kids' athletic shorts. I just say no, I don't do alterations for other people. (For me, I don't have the confidence--wouldn't want to screw up a pair and end up owing them a new one.) They say, "Oh, okay. I'll take it to a tailor." It wasn't hard once I started stating it as my policy.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Just when you think you’ve heard it all.......
Old 11-14-2018, 11:12 PM

think I'd laugh this off--say "thanks for liking the quilt, but it's darn near impossible to enlarge a quilt and wayyy beyond my 'pay grade'!" then add, something about not doing quilts on commission as the cost of making quilts is so high that adding in reasonable labor costs, that most people shy away from being willing to pay for them. that sets the stage that no large quilt is coming their way without a nice big check (make that two, an initial one to pay for materials, a 2nd one for completion). My guess if you make it obvious that it will take some $$ to get another quilt, they will back off.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:31 AM

I hear Arnold from Different Strokes saying, "How rude". This family needs some lessons on gratitude and thank-yous. If you gave them a gift for their daughter ..... others have said it already. First, the gift was for the daughter not the family. Second, this family appears to not understand quilts and quilting. They are unaware of the time it takes, the cost of materials and the joy and pleasure it takes to make a gift that is quilted. (Has your joy been tarnished with this request?) I would quickly decline this request. Or, as someone mentioned, you could offer to make them a larger quilt and give them a specific list of what materials you need to create their cuddling quilt. It will either send them away or show them part of the true cost of your creations. Another option for you is to graciously decline because you have other quilts gifts for other individuals in progress and want to finish them. Add an, "I am so glad you liked the quilt I made for your daughter." Then, let it go.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:59 AM

It’s possible that your co-worker feels comfortable enough to ask you for a larger quilt...and maybe it is a compliment but I agree with our fellow quilting members in that I would have to decline. People who do not quilt themselves have no idea of the time and expense that goes into a quilt...especially your time.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:36 AM

Well, let's give this guy the benefit of the doubt and consider that it was meant as a compliment that the entire family likes the quilt. Even at double the size, that many people aren't going to fit under it! Also, "common folks" do not understand the time, effort, and cost of a quilt. I think I'd just smile and nod with a reply that you are glad they like the quilt that is more the size for their littlest one and hope that child enjoys it.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:36 AM

Excuse me. You gave them a gift and they are abusing your generosity by requesting you make it bigger. Someone that rude does not deserve your gift. I would thank him for returning it and donate it elsewhere.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Remember, "no" is a complete sentence. In this case, I'd definitely use "No".
That is what I was going to say. No is a complete sentence.
Also, I just finished making a finished quilt larger. It is a pain and I would do everything you can to avoid doing that. I did it because my daddy asked. (He is my daddy, after all)