Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me please >

Help me please

Help me please

Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 PM

I need help squaring up a block that is larger than any square I have in my notions....I know there must be a way to do it. Can someone please help my old brain. I need an easy explanation. My blocks are 20 1/2 inches square (I did the ten minute block and made 20 of them.) My granddaughter and I are sewing together on separate machines and in putting the blocks together I notice they aren't all square, so before going any farther I want to check the blocks. And then once they are sewed together I must check again, right? This is the part I hate cuz I just can't get them square, no matter what I try.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

do you have any 'template' material you can cut to your size your needing??
Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Check out this tutorial

http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com...g-Starch-.aspx
Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM

How large is your cutting mat? Use the lines on it.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

All you need is a large piece of paper, and your rotary ruler.

Tape copy paper or whatever you have on hand together. Measure this to your 20 1/2".

Center this over your block and use your ruler to trim around the paper. You can fold the paper in 1/4's and use those lines to match up to your blocks, or what ever other lines you may need.

You can also fold the outside edges in at a 1/4" to make sure you aren't cutting off your outer points if you have any :wink: :D:D:D
Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by magpie
And do I just pick any edge as my straight edge and cut anything outside the 20 1/2" square?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
do you have any 'template' material you can cut to your size your needing??
Perhaps I could have my husband cut me a 20 1/2" acrylic piece if he has any at work. I'll check on that....but would worry that his square could be off as much as my blocks are! LOL!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by magpie
And do I just pick any edge as my straight edge and cut anything outside the 20 1/2" square?
you will probably need to take a little off all the edges. you need to find a way to press or chalk mark the diagonal. then use that line, not the edge of the block. or you can use a straight seam line & measure from that all directions. man, the more I type, the more complicated I am making it. start with the smallest block & make them all that size, unless you will lose points. you may need to make another block or two to get enough sized ones.
guess I would measure 10 1/4" from the center to each edge. you would be working in quandrants. that way, you could use a smaller (12 1/2 ") square ruler. this is probably the biggest block you will ever need to square !
Old 11-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Fold opposite corners together to make a triangle - that will tell you where you are off. If it's square, all the sides will match up. Fold again to give yourself a smaller block to work with. I think you would have cutting edges together, but it's late and I'm not sure. (3 a.m. here)
Anyone, please jump in here if I am steering her wrong.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by amma
All you need is a large piece of paper, and your rotary ruler.

Tape copy paper or whatever you have on hand together. Measure this to your 20 1/2".

Center this over your block and use your ruler to trim around the paper. You can fold the paper in 1/4's and use those lines to match up to your blocks, or what ever other lines you may need.

You can also fold the outside edges in at a 1/4" to make sure you aren't cutting off your outer points if you have any :wink: :D:D:D
Last night I made no sense out of this...this morning it's clear to me!! This might be the way to go for me...I'll give it a try after church! Thanks so much...I was just overwhelmed when trying to figure this out!