Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me quick!!!

I was just putting the binding on my neices quilt for her baby shower tomorrow and my husband thought he would be helpful and bring me a diet coke. Long story short he spilled some of it on the quilt in a large area. I ran it up to the washer immediately even though the binding wasn't done and threw it in but it isn't washing out. I pulled it out after the wash cycle and it still was there so now I have it soaking. Anyone out there know what I should wash it in to get the coke out?

Blog Entries
    Oxyclean

Diet Coke should not have left a stain. Was there anything else with it?

I agree with Oxyclean, or maybe try vinegar or club soda.

Blog Entries
    I found poroxide has been great on alot. I am not good with oxy because it took out the color

Diet coke, diet pepsi, any thing with that carmel color will stain. I agree with Murphy but if that doesn't work maybe shout or goop (used to clean hands with, I use it for everything!)

It was just diet coke in a glass with ice. I thought that since I flew up the stairs and got it in the water right away that it would just rinse out but it didn't. Of course the back is white with pastel polka dots so it shows really well. It kind of sprayed across half the quilt! I did put a little laundry soap in the washer perhaps that set the stain? I am going up right now to see if I have any Oxy clean . I just want to scream.

Seems to me there have been alot of helpful dear husband posts on here...that cause something to be spilled on quilt projects or have washed a quilt that they shouldn't have. If it were my situation , I would lock the sewing door and make the sewing area off limits to everyone.

I am soaking it with Oxyclean right now. If that doesn't work I am going to try the peroxide. Do I use it straight and dab it on the stain or dilute it?

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Seems to me there have been alot of helpful dear husband posts on here...that cause something to be spilled on quilt projects or have washed a quilt that they shouldn't have. If it were my situation , I would lock the sewing door and make the sewing area off limits to everyone.
    Would never lock my DH out of anywhere I am!!!!!!!!!
    We enjoy our time together! :roll:

Super Member HummerGardenCrafts's Avatar
    If I teach someone to quilt or something, that's the first thing I tell them. No food or drinks near the quilt. I've had too many accidents myself. I really feel for you. It's even worse when it almost completely done. If it would of just been the top, you might of been able to replace pieces. I do hope it comes out for you.

I would have tried Shout first, but then I always have good luck with it. My MIL said when she used Oxy-Clean that it was very hard on their clothes. I was pinning the Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my DGD last night and stuck myself on a pin. Wouldn't you know that the blood dropped on the white fabric, not any other color. Anyway, it came right out with cold water.

You can also try dish soap (not dishwasher). It gets out a lot of stains. I think you will need to use some type of soap to get it out. Good luck.

You'll get it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Country1
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Would never lock my DH out of anywhere I am!!!!!!!!!
    We enjoy our time together! :roll:
    I wouldn't either mine sat and sewed right along with me. A very precious time that was. Try bar Fels napha

Redi whip in the spray can..is a miracle worker as well.

Now I soaked it in ERA with enzyme stain fighter and also peroxide, and that didn't help. So I pulled it out of the washer and put the peroxide on it directly and that is sitting now. The baby shower is tomorrow and I can't decide what to do if I can't get the stain out. Should I give up and dry it, finish the binding and give it to her with a note that I need it back so I can take it apart and put new backing on it? The front of the quilt it fine, it didn't soak through. Or just give her a note explaining what happened and make her a new quilt?

Oxyclean!

OMG I would be so upset. I would finish it up and then put a note in it and explain what happened and get it back and make it good.

What would it look like if you just tea stained the entire quilt? You wouldn't have a crisp white anymore but would the front of the quilt look ok with it? You don't say what the other colors are but maybe an old fashioned look would work. Would have to do it after you put the binding on to keep it even but just a thought.

I have gotten almost anything out with Oxyclean and an enzyime additive and HOT water. However I would not use that unless the quilt is finished. Peroxide is a bleach, so be careful using it on colored fabric. I also have soaked things in Oxyclean overnight and it took the stain out. Husbands can cause a lot of trouble trying to be sweet. He probably feels terrible.
    Sue

I have found that you have to get stains out before you wash them because it seems that the washing sets them. My granddaughter 2 years old wrote with a marker all several blocks of a Wedding Ring Quilt I had taken years to make for my DD. She brough it to me. I put palmolive dish detergent (white is best but green works) and kept blotting it then I ran water through it. Soaked it with Palmolive & washed it. A little stain was left so I dipped it (not soaked) it in a strong bleach solution and the rest came out.

I would try the bleach on this but just try dipping the back in the bleach water and then scrub with your fists and see how it works. Maybe a little piece at a time.

Blog Entries
    We used to use peroxide to get blood out of our uniforms. The only trouble with peroxide is you have to wash it out really well, or it will eat your fabric.

Don't know if it would work on a quilt, but I have used Shout to get coke stains out of t-shirts.

You might try soaking it in Clorox 2. I've had very good luck getting stains out of clothing with it. It's colorsafe. I've used it many times.

I'm a diet coke addict and surprised it didn't come right out with water. Try Oxyclean or white vinegar. Peroxide works on blood, not sure it'll help here or not. Don't dry it or it will be set forever. Good luck, this will surely happen to me one day, though I try to drink favored selzer water in the sewing room. One of the many blessings in sewing is that when I'm sewing, I'm not eating.

Banned
    Hot water will set a stain, so always rinse first in cool water to try and remove as much as you can. After that, I would have applied some Shout, let it sit a few minutes, then wash with a mild detergent. My daughter loves colas and I've used this method a time or two to get it out of finished quilts with excellent results. :-D

As for blood on a quilt, I was watching an episode of Simply Quilts a few years ago and Alex Anderson said the best thing for getting blood off your quilt is your own saliva. I've never had to test this myself, but she said it works every time. :D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast