Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help me see this from another perspective, please >

help me see this from another perspective, please

help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 AM

I tend to agree with this person. I am a quilter and know all the work and care that is required in making a quilt, however, I've also volunteered at several not-for-profits and they are usually swamped and badly understaffed. It often is all they can do to get the needs met let alone formally respond to donation. I do agree that they should have acknowledged the donation, however, sometimes things slip through the crack because people have so much they are trying to tend to. Extend the organization or the lady some grace and feel good that you made such a lovely and heart-felt donation.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:58 AM

Also, remember that people who don't quilt have no idea what it takes to create an entire quilt.... time, materials, skill, etc. Again, feel good that you gave such a heart-felt donation.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 AM

Get over it. Did the lady email you and ask where the quilt that was promised in Oct was? You know that you did a nice thing by donating and you should have tracked it youself. She did apolized for forgetting to thank you which may be Karma's way of paying you back for "forgetting" to mail the 1st quilt when promised. Karma will pay you back in a good way but not with the attitude that you have. The purpose of giving should be with love and kindness not the need to get a pat on the back!

Last edited by bigsister63; 01-19-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 AM

Default help me see this from another perspective...

The key sentence is: "It is not the first time I've had to follow up about the quilts arriving." So any charitable and/or not-for-profit organization that cannot keep track of donations through good recordkeeping, will very quickly find the IRS knocking at the door and They Will NOT Win with the bad recordkeeping.
If you have to check to see if they have arrived, you really have no knowledge that your donations were used as a loving comfort for an needing adult, maybe your quilts were sold and the money went someplace.
Find another charity.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM

I believe that they should at least aknowledge they recieved it. If you are kind enough to donate them,a response of its arriving should be an automatic gesture.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Ah, split opinions. I personally think they owe you a thank you, and an apology for just ignoring the fact that you spent considerable time and money on providing them with those quilts. Ten minutes and 44 cents would not have killed them, and it would have let you know that the quilts had arrived, and that they did appreciate your donation. Having said that, if you want to make another quilt, and donate it for auction to benefit my favorite charity, I can promise you that you will receive at least 3 thank you notes. And the appreciation of many little four footed creatures. I think you were snubbed, intentionally or not.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM

I really don’t see the problem with expecting a little gratitude and thanks if it were not for our hard work and donations there would be no charity, its common sense that the more gratitude you give the more help you will get. and why should we not expect a little thanks what is wrong with wanting appreciation for our efforts why do we all have to be so self-depriving, we deserve a pat on the back and I for one would expect it because were worth it. It would not take a long time for them to draft and setup an email that could be automatically sent out as each donation comes in. As adults we teach our children to show gratitude because it’s the loving thing to do its only polite and loving to give it back. However that said don’t let rudeness put you off i am sure the recipient of your beautiful quilts will be very grateful I am very grateful that there are people like you in the world you make it abetter place to live.

Last edited by dollycathy; 01-19-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Are you sure it's a reputable organization in Tennesee? Why don't you give quilts to organizations in your local community where you can actually see they are making a difference. Making quilts for shut-ins, newborn babies who have complications, cancer patients, veterans, homeless people.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 AM

The courtesy of thanking seems to have disappeared from our culture. I still expect a thanks from a group where I have sent or delivered a quilt or quilts. No thanks = no more donations. It's simple for me
Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
Everyone will no doubt tell you the joy is in the giving
Not I
Say a mental goodbye and find a better organization.
I agree......you are doing a good thing and it should make you feel better not worse.....if you can release the past organization in peace and move on, everyone will be better for it. Keep the positive flowing in whatever way you can...bless you for paying it forward!!