Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help me!!

Unhappy Help me!!

My problem is that I just finished a baby quilt and backed it with cuddle fleece. I have done quilts like this before. Never a problem. I ran it through the gentle cycle to remove markings and freshen up before giving it to the new mom. Here is the problem LINT!! I can not remove all of the lint. I have washed and dried it 3 times and the lint is EVERYWHERE!. I can't give a quilt that will be washed a lot that has to be de- linted every time. What can I do! I have never had a lint problem after the 1st washing. Any suggestions?

Wow! I've never had this problem so any solution I could give would be pure speculation. Is the lint coming from the quilt or are you washing it with other things that are giving off the lint? I can't imagine cuddle fleece giving off that much lint but I've never used it on a quilt back. Perhaps that is the problem. I would think that the lint would stop or at least slow down once it's gone through a wash and dry cycle. But three times??? Just don't know. I'd try using a clothes brush or masking tape and then see what happens.

Blog Entries
    Is it a different brand of fleece? If so I would talk to salesperson or shop owner for a solution.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Power Poster
    Sorry I can't think of anything to help. Is the top chenille? Chenille produces a lot of lint but it usually stops after a couple of washes. If it still looks good, you could gift it and just add a little note saying it will produce lint when washed. I've included a note and colour catchers with a new quilt if I am not sure how it will be washed. I always pre-wash a bright coloured quilt to see if there are any problems but other people may wash it differently so I include a care note.

Are you using fabric softener? Maybe it would help keep the lint from sticking so much.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Wow, so sorry this has happened to you! Is it possible to cover the fleece backing with a tightly woven (maybe batik?) fabric? I was thinking maybe hand stitching it all along the edge of the binding on the back. That would contain the lint that comes off the fleece, if that is where the lint is coming from. You might be able to take some tacking stitches in it which don't go through to the front, here and there, just so the new backing is not loose all over.

It is washed only by itself. I used a lint brush roller and de-linted it between washing and still a ton of lint. I am not sure if it the brand of cuddle fleece or not. I made a small lap quilt out of upholstery fabric and backed it with cuddle fleece and had no issues. The quilt top is just cotton. I guess I will have to start over thanks

Blog Entries
    at least the quilt top is good. what a heartbreak to have the backing cause such a problem! i think the fabric needs to go back to the store. if it's a new line they're stocking, they'll want to know! so sorry!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

j
    If the lint doesnt stop, the fuzz will bother the baby, I would think. - J

What color is the quilt fabric? Many times a light batting will beard through to bright or especially dark colors.
    Just a suggestion. Keep the batting color close to the fabric color as you can.

I would just keep washing it until the lint stops.

It is cream fleece and navy & tan top :/

that sucks. really sucks.

i have no counsel, just empathy.

aileen

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    That sounds so sad after you sewed the top and probably quilted it yourself. I, too, would de-lint it and put a note in the present telling the girl about it linting so much. Or, as someone else said, put a different back over it and tack it on. That sounds like it wouldn't look as nice, but I sure wouldn't want to have to un-quilt it. But if you have the time and energy, redo it. Good luck! And you are so nice to go to all the trouble to make a baby quilt for someone. It's a lot of time and work and money.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I am wondering if the manufacturer changed something or had a defective run. This is the 2nd posting I have seen of Minkee type fabric producing incredible amounts of lint, almost as though every washing was producing more lint instead of it decreasing as you would expect.

Blog Entries
    I was telling a friend, she said she has cut on the edge of quilts as small as possible, this could take the back fabric off, this only works on quilts tat have been tacked. But she wondered if you could cut the edges off and put face to face and sew leaving a opening to turn back on right sides. When rights sides are sewn (top-batting old and new backing) pulled through opening to put both sides on top & back side, now tack. I have quilted child's drag around
    blankets this way. They have all tacking or tacking and quilting. Hope this makes sense. Sorry about your fabric.