Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me win this carpenter's heart!

I'm buying a house and hired a carpenter to do some remodeling on an old shed so I can turn it into my quilting area. He's a super-sweet guy and the girls at work were encouraging me to get to know him better, so I've spent a little time each day talking with him. Then, I took a whole day off work and spent time working at the site with him- now I've got quite the crush!

He came to my office today to bring the bill. He ended up doing TONS more work than we had originally discussed for WAY less money. I negiotiated at least making him some lasagna and a cherry pie (he's a bachelor and mentioned believing in 'the way to a man's heart is through his stomach'!) but I would also like to make him a quilt.

My question is... do any of you have a suggestion for a pattern? I thought about doing something neat and classic like a Carpenter's Wheel, but I also love to paper-piece and considered doing blocks with tools. (Is that too silly?) I just don't know and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

There is a fabric line called "fix-it" maybe it could work in your quilt.
    http://www.favoritefabric.com/cgi/co...egory_rjr.html

I immediately thought of that fabric line also if it's the one designed with carpenter tools. I'm married to my carpenter (and thank God every day for him) and one thing that is so great is even if he has never sewn a stitch in his life one "hands on" artist recognizes the amount of work and care another hands on artist has put into something. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Blog Entries
    Well.... I'd say that this early in this relationship, you'd be better off choosing something quick and easy, maybe using the 'tools' fabric. If you get way into a complex project, then you don't see him again, how will you feel?

You could also do a few PP blocks, scattered around a simple design.

JMHO -- married almost 38 years!

Blog Entries
    Budding romance. Love it. I also like the fix it line.

I see him quite often and just want to do something really nice. He worked for 4 solid days and only charged me $250 in labor.... so if I can go into the quilt shack he rebuilt and make something nice in return, well then, I would like to!

His mother is a quilter, so I think he would appreciate the gesture!

What about a log cabin quilt?

Good luck!!

Love happy endings

Blog Entries
    We'll be wishing you good luck in this adventure ..... pick a simple pattern with manly colors and get crackin'. I, too, live with my carpenter (and electrician, and plumber, and mechanic, and roofer, and sewing machine repair man, and kennel maintenance man, and I could go on and on).

Blog Entries
    My vote is also for the log cabin! :) And...look to see what color his car is, and try to remember what color shirts he wore...those are going to be his favorite colors! ;)

Crossing my fingers for ya! Keep us posted!

do a simple quilt manly looking w/ plaids, hunting or etc
    WEll wishes is always a good pattern
    let us know if the love bug bites hehehehehehehehe

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think a quilt of themed fabric would be like taking a busmans holiday.

I would suggest a Carpenters square pattern. A very old fashioned, simple, manly pattern in two colors. Or a log cabin, or a modified schoolhouse. They hint at his career without proclaiming it. I think making a quilt for him is a great idea.
    peace :D

another suggestion a Lover's Knot or Card Trick
    then when you catch him make him a wedding quilt :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think a quilt of themed fabric would be like taking a busmans holiday.

I would suggest a Carpenters square pattern. A very old fashioned, simple, manly pattern in two colors. I may have the name wrong 'cause the ones I see on the board aren't what I was thinking of. I'll have to look in my book and re-post Or a log cabin, or a modified schoolhouse. They hint at his career without proclaiming it. I think making a quilt for him is a great idea.
    peace :D

I found it. In a book: Better Homes and Gardens Quilting Pieces of the Past; pub. 2004. It looks rather complicated but I don't think it is becauce it is just strips of fabric. Lovely in blue and white. Just a thought. may all go well.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I would suggest a Carpenters square pattern.

The pattern I am thinking of looks like several interlocking strips that form squares.
    Here's a link to a slew of Carpenters Star pictures - you can see how different fabric selections affect the finished star:

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...l146l146l0.1l1

Well, I think you have enough ideas to work with...I just wanted to chime in and say "all the best" and let us know how it works out...nothing like a good romance:)

MTS
    Banned
    I would suggest a Carpenters square pattern. A very old fashioned, simple, manly pattern in two colors.
    LOL! You wrote square and I read star.

Here's another link to Carpenter's SQUARE quilts:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...quilt&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    I would suggest a Carpenters square pattern.

The pattern I am thinking of looks like several interlocking strips that form squares.
    Here's a link to a slew of Carpenters Star pictures - you can see how different fabric selections affect the finished star:

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...l146l146l0.1l1
    This one was my thoughts too. I am also married to a carpenter and know that this one would intrigue him. They are always dealing with lines, placement in their jobs. I also work with my dh...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    What about a log cabin quilt?

Good luck!!
    You could use some of the fix it fabric, fussy cut, in the center. Maybe add some nail or screw heads as if putting the blocks together with them??

I think the Carpenter's star would be lovely.

Good luck with your relationship and please post a picture of your new sewing space and the quilt. Maybe the guy too.

Sounds like you two may be made for each other. You should keep us all posted on this budding romance. I am very happy for both of you. Just curious, have you had an actual date yet??? I hope so!

Good luck with your carpenter....the carpenters star looks like a challenging but nice thought. And even if things don't work out, you have learned a new pattern.

A gift from the heart is never silly.

May God bless your romance!

Blog Entries
    OOOOOOHHHHHH this is so very exciting, I hope and pray everything works out for you, good luck with the quilt and the budding romance

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast