Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me win this carpenter's heart!

Blog Entries
    I'm not much help in choosing a pattern, although I think the Carpenter's Wheel is a great idea. I'm just tickled about your story! I wish you well in your choice of pattern (and men!).

While you are working on the quilt, give him gift certificates for a homemade pie a month, etc....

My vote is for "Warm Wishes" using the fix it fabric!

I just finished a carpenters star for my nephew's graduation. It was easy, fun and is very striking. Google "four hour quilt". You want to give this gift while the spark of love is still bright. A way to a man's heart may be through his stomach but a quilt is like a thousand warm hugs! Good luck with the love adventure as well as the quilt project.

Personally, I like the Carpenters star idea too. But I'm not one for cute and campy designs that often....they are fun for kids, but somehow when done up in a large quilt look sort of too cute for me. but its for Him, and he may be one to like that.

Good Luck with everything! I'm going to "watch this topic" so I can stay updated on how things progress~

A quilt would be nice but invite him for dinner. :D

Bachelor's Puzzle

http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Bache...zzleBlock.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSCrafter
    I'm buying a house and hired a carpenter to do some remodeling on an old shed so I can turn it into my quilting area. He's a super-sweet guy and the girls at work were encouraging me to get to know him better, so I've spent a little time each day talking with him. Then, I took a whole day off work and spent time working at the site with him- now I've got quite the crush!

He came to my office today to bring the bill. He ended up doing TONS more work than we had originally discussed for WAY less money. I negiotiated at least making him some lasagna and a cherry pie (he's a bachelor and mentioned believing in 'the way to a man's heart is through his stomach'!) but I would also like to make him a quilt.

My question is... do any of you have a suggestion for a pattern? I thought about doing something neat and classic like a Carpenter's Wheel, but I also love to paper-piece and considered doing blocks with tools. (Is that too silly?) I just don't know and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
    That is so cool.

His Mom is a Quilter. He liked fixing your shed. He charged you less. He is a bachelor. He likes the food and let you know it is the way to a man's heart.

I agree. He was sent right to your door. Make the Carpenters Wheel ;)

I haven't read all the suggestions, but why not make a carpenter's star pattern? It's a beautiful pattern, and you could use the "fix-it" fabric, or something similar. Just a suggestion...

Blog Entries
    I hope this all works out - he sounds like a very decent guy - someone sent that particular carpenter your way. You may want to keep it whimsical if he hasnt asked you out yet lol

Heres some fabrics that I happen to find in my stash pm me if you are interested There are 30 6 1/2" unfinished squares and two pieces of fabric one is 29" the other is 21" Would take 12.00 plus postage for all of it if you want to give it a try thanks cheryl :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by donnalynett
    While you are working on the quilt, give him gift certificates for a homemade pie a month, etc....
    This is a smart woman who knows how to get her man!

Sounds like you don't have to do much to win his heart - he sounds smitten already. But I agree, this early on, I'd go with a wallhanging rather than a quilt. Guys scare easy!

I have known my 'crush' for about 3 years...and just found out it is mutual from him .. Is your 'crush' the kind that takes your breath away when you see him...cuz that is my 'crush'... I forget to speak words, LOL!!

I think the quilt is a great idea... just take a while to make it to see how it goes...

I was just looking for 'Notre Dame' fabric to make him a quilt for Xmas... can't seem to find any in cotton just fleece...Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    A quilting board love story. I can't wait to hear how this goes. I hope you keep us update. I am praying that you win this carpenters heart. I also thought that a Carpenters Star would be perfect.

Blog Entries
    MTS: Sorry, but I did mean Square. Carpenters Square is a very old pattern, probably out of style and with todays rotary cutting it is a perfect match because it can be strip pieced by modern terms. It is a beautiful quilt and looks very complicated but is not! When I finish mine I will post for all to see 'cause I think it is little known. Does anyone else know of this pattern and what do you think of it?

I posted earlier where I found the pattern: BH&G book Quilting Pieces of the past.
    Whatever is chosen I think it will be a well recieved gift!
    peace :D :D

I looked at your 2nd post about CS and the pattern I am using is on pg 3 of that sight! Thanks for the research!

Quote Originally Posted by KSCrafter
    I'm buying a house and hired a carpenter to do some remodeling on an old shed so I can turn it into my quilting area. He's a super-sweet guy and the girls at work were encouraging me to get to know him better, so I've spent a little time each day talking with him. Then, I took a whole day off work and spent time working at the site with him- now I've got quite the crush!

He came to my office today to bring the bill. He ended up doing TONS more work than we had originally discussed for WAY less money. I negiotiated at least making him some lasagna and a cherry pie (he's a bachelor and mentioned believing in 'the way to a man's heart is through his stomach'!) but I would also like to make him a quilt.

My question is... do any of you have a suggestion for a pattern? I thought about doing something neat and classic like a Carpenter's Wheel, but I also love to paper-piece and considered doing blocks with tools. (Is that too silly?) I just don't know and would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
    http://www.dakotacountystarquilters....s/DSC07432.JPG

If it works, here is a quilt from a local quilt show. It's called "The Manly Quilt"
    Every square is fabric that is manly, such as rocks, washers, wood etc. Something like this but also adding things have more to do with a carpenter. The photo does not do ti justice, it was my favorite quilt at the show.
    good luck

Power Poster
    Hope this works out. Good luck

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I posted earlier where I found the pattern: BH&G book Quilting Pieces of the past.
    Whatever is chosen I think it will be a well recieved gift!
    peace :D :D

I looked at your 2nd post about CS and the pattern I am using is on pg 3 of that sight! Thanks for the research!
    As you can see, the CSq block (to distinguish it from the CSt block ;-) ) is still very popular, especially with the contemporary modern quilting crowd. I think it looks great in all fabric styles.

On that note, look what I found in reference to the block from 1976 - read the first paragraph:
    http://thelibrary.org/lochist/period...weet/sp77h.htm
    Pretty funny, huh?

Which one of those on page3 is yours?
    When I was trying to figure it out, I actually stumbled across another QB member's CSq quilt. Small world.

Ok - Ya big chickens! I'll ask her...

Where do you see him - just around?
    Did he seem smitten with you?
    Do you know his mom or did he just tell you she quilts?
    Did you invite him for lasagna or did you make him some to go?
    How long ago did he do this work?
    He knows where your office is and he has your Number...
    has he tried to contact you yet?

I wouldn't be too forward with a quilt - they do scare easy!
    Start with that dinner while you're planning the quilt and perhaps other things in the privacy of your head... Let us know how it goes.

Keep us posted on the romance, oops mean the quilt. haha. I am sure which ever you choose to do would be appriciated by him.

How about the Carpenter's star. Seems appropriate to me.

GO for it girl and I think Carpenter's Wheel is the perfect choice for a quilt. He will appreciate the symbolism of the name, see that although you can take care of his heart and the pathway to it, you also have much more to offer.

Keep us informed.

My husband is a carpenter and I made him the super easy carpenter's star I added a few nuts and bolts and tool fabric pieces ( this was a line out a few years back) it has lots of blue too since that is his favorite color. Adding a few pieces of tool material allowed the quilt to blend in our family room without screaming carpenter's quilt.

Better be careful.....I hired a young man to build me a fence when I was a young divorcee with two children. The fence kept getting better and better, (my young daughter said are you going to be my new Dad ?) and the rest is history as they say. Eight months later we were married and it's 34 years now and we still enjoy telling our story. Good Luck to you.

Blog Entries
    Will be interesting to see how this all turns out. Hope it goes well...I say just take it slow and what is meant to be will happen. Show us the quilt in progress, please. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast