Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with measurement of blocks >

Help with measurement of blocks

Help with measurement of blocks

Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 PM

Default Help with measurement of blocks

I bought a ruler called, Log Cabin Trim Tool Two to make a log cabin block.. I did try making one block out of some scrap fabric to just see how this ruler worked and it was really great, the only problem i have now is I want to make a king size quilt but don't know how to figure out how much fabric I need for each color. There is three dark colors and three light colors to make a log cabin block. I pulled out fabric from my stash but I am afraid that after I get going on this quilt I may run out of some of the fabric. There would be no way to buy more fabric if I did run out as this fabric has been in my stash for a long time.

anyone know how to figure out the amount of fabric I would need for each color.. or maybe I should just go for it and hope I have enough of each color.. What would you do? The block ends up as a 12 inch block...Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 07:19 PM

A few questions, then I will draw it in EQ.
1 Is it only going to be LC blocks with no borders?
2. If you are going to use borders, how many and what size for each?
3. I consider a king 108x108. What do you expect the finished size to be?
Old 07-18-2016, 07:22 PM

You're just going to have to do the math on this one. Figure out the cut sizes of each piece and how many of those cuts you need for an entire quilt, which will depend on the number of blocks you have graphed out on graph paper. Then you can determine how much fabric is required to give you that many cuts. You'll have to do this for each fabric you intend on using. You could also go buy a fabric calculator and it will do the math for you, but you still have to insert the numbers, so you still have that to figure all that stuff out.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:32 PM

There's no quick and easy answer to your question, quilt lady1941, because there are any number of ways to organize and arrange a log cabin quilt. I suggest you type 12" log cabin quilt block into your search engine and read through enough of the suggested websites to get a good feel for what you plan to do.

Once you've done that, you'll probably know what width your strips will need to be. I'm guessing they'll be about 3" wide, which will finish at 2.5". (Using 6 colors, I think that gets you pretty close to a 12" block.) Then just calculate the number of strip inches you need for each color, and compare that to the width of your yardage. Cut enough length of strips for each color. Note: The strip lengths will not be the same for each color!

I hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 PM

I decided just to go ahead and do the quilt in 2 versions as a 108 square size. The fabrics noted are based on where the different colors are in the quilt. I used different colors for the borders so that you would get those measurements as a separate line item. The last item is 1/2 yard and that is supposed to be the binding. I don't know that this is accurate. EQ does not know it is a binding. EQ considers it a 1 inch border. Please use these yardages as an estimate and round up.

Edited to add: After watching the YouTube tutorial for the ruler, I don't think my numbers will do you much good. I don't know what size the strips the ruler calls for but all mine were cut at 2" except for the center which was 3.5 inches. You lose 1/4 inch per side for sewing, so the 2" logs finish at 1.5 inches and the center at 3 inches. I think you are going to have to break it down as some of the others suggested, after you draft out the block. If you do the block the way she says, you are likely to have a good bit of wasted fabric. I would try to cut the strips closer to the finished size plus 1/4" all around, so that I didn't lose a lot of fabric in the trimming. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails 12-inch-lc-blocks-w3-borders-108x108-fabric.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-18-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 PM

It would appear from a 12 in. block for a King Size quilt (108 x 108) it will take 81 blocks (9 in a row across and 9 rows). From the Log Cabin Trim Tool Two there are 8 rows to the block, and each strip would need to be 2 inches wide so it would finish at the 12 inches, using the 1/4 inch seam.

If you make the center a 2-1/2" square AND and five LIGHT value fabrics of your choice, cut in 1-1/2" widths, plus five DARK value fabrics, cut in the same widths ...lengths of each strip will vary in length 2-1/2" to 12-1/2"--to be safe, cut both lights and darks as long as you can.

It is easy to calculate how much of each piece you will need once you identify what type of Log Cabin you want to make. Both ways you will need 81 pieces of each.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 PM

Thank you Barb in Louisiana, that was so nice of you to take the time to try and help me figure out this problem, I have been trying to figure out how much fabric I will use by adding up all the strips in one block and going from there. I am terrible with math..but I am going to give it a try..

Thanks to all the other ladies for your help too.I'll post a picture after I am done with this quilt..
Old 07-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I think i would try to get/use several fabrics of each color you are planning to use ( Example: three or four medium blues, three or four light blues, three dark blues) - and then try to mix and match them in various blocks so it will look intentional.

You would still be using only the colors you had in mind, but if the different fabrics are scattered in several blocks, I think it would work.