Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Banned

Odo ban I bought from sams club I think. My son vomited on my couch and it soaked in. The odor was so bad I couldn't even get near the couch. And it didn't help that all of the normal household stuff just masked the odor for a short while. So I bit the bullet and paid the extra money for the Odo ban. LOVE IT. Use it and then let it dry so you can finish your sewing. Then wash the quilt when done. I really do think that will work. They have a kind specifically for pet smells. Best of luck and I hope this helps. I know it did for me.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I would use a product that is sold to remove the urine order, like Nature's Miracle urine destroyer. I had a female cat years ago that sprayed and it was the only thing that worked. You can get it at any pet store.
Edit: I didn't read carefully and see that you used one of their products, but this is the one I used.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 AM

My daughter is a groomer and I know she has a product that removes odors. I can't call her until after 3pm. Will then post for you all.
Pat
Old 12-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Thank you all! I will definitely keep up with this topic! So far, the Nature's Miracle seems to be doing ok. I have quite a ways to go before finishing it. I have a couple more star points to hand quilt then have to do the machine quilting in the black and on the border. I will keep DH informed on the advice we get here and hopefully will be able to find what will work!
Speaking of work....I have to run for now! Thank you all again and in advance for those who will post! :)
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Oh no! I am so sorry this happened. Years ago I had a cat that liked to use the dirty laundry basket as her litter box. The smell always washed out of clothes just fine. However, I could never get the smell out of the rug if she happened to use a pile of clothes that was on the floor instead of the basket. As soon as I invested in a covered laundry hamper the problem went away. No more inviting place to use. Anyway, I think by having your husband already pretreating the quilt when you finish it and launder it you should be just fine. To be on the safe side, I'd let the quilt soak for a bit in the washer before allowing it to run the full wash cycle. Before drying give it the ol' sniff test. I think you will be ok. So infuriating. At least it didn't leave a stain. Cat puke on the other hand.... still trying to figure out the magic concoction that will take those stains out.

I am wondering what possessed your kitty to do this in the first place? The car trip I can see, couldn't get to a litter box but this incident hints of another underlying problem. You may want to get her checked out at the vet just to be safe, unless of course she is a vindictive little thing and this is not out of the ordinary for her. In that case I think I would be looking into depends for a cat. ;)
Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
It appears to be just one corner but it is all the way through batting and backing and top. *Grrr* (Repeat after me...I love my cat, I love my cat, I love my cat!) No handmade felt catnip mousies for him for christmas!
Honestly, I would cut out the peed-on piece and make a new plan - either fix it, or redesign that bit. It sucks, but as a cat owner myself I know you're running a risk of that quilt getting moist and the smell coming right back. Plus if the recipient has a cat there will probably be a repeat performance...

I'm really sorry this happened.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 AM

Keep pouring the nature's miracle on it! If you still smell it after drying, do it again.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Cat puke on the other hand.... still trying to figure out the magic concoction that will take those stains out.
I don't know why they can't make cat food carpet-colored.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Cat pee is really hard to get out and this is crazy but tomato juice will take the odor out. I got sprayed by a skunk when I was a kid and that is what my Mom used to get me and my close cleaned.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM

I run a dog rescue, and have up to 13 dogs in my house at a time. (Insane, I know.) there is a product called Unique Pet Odor and Stain Remover. I can't say enough about it. It gets rid of the odors and stains and DOES NOT smell. My issues with Febreze and even Nature's Miracle is that I don't like the smell of them.

You can find it around here in local vacuum repair shops, etc. But this is the website: http://uniquemm.com/
If you call, they'll tell you where you can get it near you. It's worth its weight in gold, and is mixed 5-10/1 with water, so is very affordable. Good luck!