Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

If Nature's Miracle can manage to get skunk off a dog (and I KNOW that it does from multiple experiences), I'd say your cat can't be THAT bad. Like others have said, you need to saturate the area and let it dry. Then wash in gentle detergent.

WOnder if kitty is feeling neglected. My cat peed on our bed to show us that she was pi***d off and Nature's Miracle came to the rescue.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Is it possible that quilt could become a wall hanging?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

I had a cat that had accidents too. I tried EVERYTHING, including Nature's Miracle, etc, and nothing worked. Until I found Oreck Pet Odor & Stain Remover. It really works!! You can order it online, or get it from your local Oreck Dealer. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

I would definitely be making another quilt especially because it is for a baby. I can smell cat pee a mile away...even years after the fact...and many cleanings later. I couldn't/wouldn't have a cat in my house:>)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
The cat peed on my DH in my pickup about 5 yrs ago...we scrubbed and extracted 2 or 3 times with enzymatics...you can still smell it on a hot day. (In the truck that is...not on DH! *laugh*)
I think with enzymatics you have to be able to soak the entire area. That would be hard to do with upholstery. Hopefully it will work better on your quilt if you can saturate the area involved.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

That is exactly what I said...very good advice.
Originally Posted by Rachel
use Odoban. it works great. Our cat pee'd in my husband's shoe, we poured a little odoban in the shoe, assuming we'd have to throw them out, but it worked. Even got rid of the stinky feet smell. tee hee
Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM

I have never heard of the cleaner so many have mentioned. You should let us know if it works. I would suggest vinegar and several good long washes. I no longer keep cats in the house because of the smell and the scratched up furniture.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 PM

I actually had something similar happen to me on a lap quilt I was working on with a kitten I had at the time. I immediately blotted up as much as I could with paper towels and then immediately placed the unfinished piece into a huge bucket filled with hot, hot water and 2-4 cups of Oxyclean (and I don't mean the little scoop it comes with sometimes, I mean taking a bakers dry measuring cup and measuring it out as you would flour).

Then I let it sit that way undisturbed for about 2 hours. After that was done, I carefully placed the sopping wet quilt into a micronet large laundry carrying bag, placed that in a garbage bag and brought it into my laundry room. I then allowed the washer basin to fill up with warm water on the heavy setting and setup the machine with the gentlest cycle of agitation I had. To the water I added 1 Dry Cup of Baking Soda and 1 Cup White Vinegar.

Once that cycle was completed, I did 3 more plain heavy water washing cycles to make sure all the Oxyclean, Baking Soda and Vinegar was out, set it up to drip dry and the end result was brilliant - no stains or smells. I completed the lap quilt and gave it to my grandmother, and she never knew :-D

On a side note, I'm a big advocate of Oxyclean. I used it for everything and its safe. We've used it when moving out of apartments in those RugDoctor Machines you can rent - instead of the chemical solutions you can buy for them and it works great. I use alot and mix it with very hot water and it has taken out the toughest of both pet and regular stains.

I've even used it on fabrics I've gotten to sew/quilt with at the quilt store to restore them and it really works great. Oh and BTW if you've let the Cat Urine seep in and dry, worse that its set in for a few days... then let it sit in the Oxyclean for double the time and it will work wonders along with the baking soda and vinegar to neutralize and remove any additional odors.

Hope these ideas help you out a little. Happy Holidays!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 12-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Wash it in baking soda when it is done.

Kyia
Old 12-22-2010, 01:31 PM

What happened to the cat??
JulieM