Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with my Janome Please...I hope it's an easy question.+ a bit of a rant >

Help with my Janome Please...I hope it's an easy question.+ a bit of a rant

Help with my Janome Please...I hope it's an easy question.+ a bit of a rant

Old 05-21-2010, 05:34 PM

Shank question, with a little background....

We moved back up here from OK 2 years ago, and 2 1/2 years before that we moved from here down to OK and I can't remember if I had my machine a year or 2 before we moved...so I've had this machine approx. 5-6 years ago I graduated from an elementary Walmart machine to a Janome 415. It's a very basic machine, but it has and continues to meet all/most of my needs. The ONLY thing I would change is it doesn't have a blanket stitch....wow am I off topic...

Anyway, I don't know what shank it is. Apparently there is a hi-lo shank? I am completely self-taught...few books, mostly trial and error. When I bought the machine I knew I wanted a walking foot and a quarter in foot. The dealer sold me a package of a darning foot (FMQ?), walking foot, quarter inch foot and some other thing I don't know what it is cause I've never used it.

Anyway, over time I almost entirely use only my 1/4in foot. I have learned I don't like to lose my walking foot so it fits very nicely in the little cubby inside my machine.

Somewhere, in the last 5 years, between 2 moves from NE to OK and back, I have lost a box of my sewing things. In it contained my late mother's button holer dohinky from Singer ages and ages ago that I'll never use, but it was my moms and I didn't want to part with it. When I packed that box, knowing I would get back to it someday, I packed my Janome owner's manual, the open toed foot, the attachments that came with the machine I've never used, like some button holer foot and gauges and stuff, and some other stuff I can't remember....probably mom's eyelet lace ribbon...there I go digressing again.

So....after tearing apart 2 storage garages, my meager sewing closet and my apartment, I cannot find this box. I dare not think of what happened to it and I'm tired of waiting. I've been putting off practicing FMQ for months looking for this box. I put together some plain quilt squares with just muslin for top and back with batting in the center and I want to play around a little. Mostly because I saw these little potholders, placemats and table runner set pattern thing and I absolutely HAVE to make it. I've never before come across a pattern that talks to me like this one. I have several fabric lines all figured out and can't wait to start...knowing I NEVER start a project until I have everything ready to finish it, I am not a big fan of UFO's, I want to buy a darning foot.

The 4 foot package that cost 75 dollars 5-6 years ago, now must go for cheaper. On EBAY with these "new in box" feet. I searched Janome and I do not have a memory craft machine, it's not electronic at all actually. I don't know what shank my machine is. I don't know which foot to buy.

I tried to do the sensible thing first and go to my dealer....I had about 5 questions about my current machine. When it went down a few months ago they were more interested in selling me a new one cause I really need to "upgrade" than they were fixing my machine. then the estimate was over 150.00. Took it to a smaller machine/vacuum repair place that's THE place to go to if you belong to the guild around here....fixed it for 75. So I went to give my dealer another chance and inquire about purchasing this foot separately. Got a 30 minute one-sided conversation about this New Janome and all the bells, whistles, computerized crap it does. It can quilt, it can embroider...buy now only 999.99 are they insane? Am I not speaking English when I say i want to buy a foot? I went in there with cash money and was so flustered by them refusing to understand I was not interested in a machine, just a foot....I turned tail and left.

Do you all want pictures of my machine? I put the feed dogs down by complete accident once, so I learned how to do that the right way a long time ago. I've studied here about stitching and regulating and what not...I'm ready to play and I don't have a foot.

Can someone help?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Pam

Post a sideways picture of the foot you have, next to say, a coin, for size. Let's see what happens! I bet you get your answer!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Pictures would be a big help.
Ruth
Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 PM

I found the manual on line and it doesn't say the shank but by the photos of the feet it looks like a low shank machine. I think with Janome the only high shank machines are the embroidery machines. I have a .pdf of the owners manual if you would like it just PM me. Another way to know is if only one finger fits under the screw to the face plate it is a low shank.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Pam

Kathy, I did not know that about using the finger for measuing. Thanks!

I Have a Bernina with an adaptor that lets me use the low shank attachments, bet Bernina hates that. :twisted:
Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

This might help.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71181.jpe  
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
I found the manual on line and it doesn't say the shank but by the photos of the feet it looks like a low shank machine. I think with Janome the only high shank machines are the embroidery machines. I have a .pdf of the owners manual if you would like it just PM me. Another way to know is if only one finger fits under the screw to the face plate it is a low shank.
What is a face plate?

Also, will try to take pictures of it tomorrow. By the descriptions, I bet it's a low shank. I can only fit barely a finger in the method you described. It's not a computerized machine in any way nor does it have embroidery features. It may have been a basic model? It has a few stitching options and some decorative stitching...not really a whole heck of a lot, but it's not a computerized machine. .

I just wanted something better than the basic brother I got for 80.00 at walmart. Sewed like a dream, still does apparently because I gave it to my SIL when I got this machine and she just started her quilting journey 2 years ago. She's going to run into the same problem I did though....brother makes very specific shanks for their walmart models...it's like a learner machine. The minute you want to do anything fancy that involved attachments that didn't come with the machine, you will find out real quick from brother that they don't make quilting feet or any really nice accessories for those models...but they are more than happy to help you order a machine that better suits your needs!!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 PM

I found this on the Janome website. You can find the part numbers and descriptions of the feet that go with your machine. http://janome.com/index.cfm/Machines/Retired/415

If you do some searching, I'm sure there are online sites where you could order feet. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

Here's another website that describes shank sizes:
http://www.clotilde.com/pages/which_foot.html
Old 05-22-2010, 02:58 AM

I have a Brother machine and I went to their website and found out my machine is a low shank. It was very easy to find also.