Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, my machine is sick! >

Help, my machine is sick!

Help, my machine is sick!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:40 AM

Default Help, my machine is sick!

Hi. I have a brother cs6000i and lately (about a month) it has not been grabbing the fabric when I first put it in and then if I start in the middle it will start and kind of get 'stuck' leaving a clump of thread underneath then it will move along as long as I pull the piece along a little bit, but still occasionally getting 'stuck' and I have to pull the piece along to get it moving again. I have cleaned the lint (you should have seen the stuff that was piled up in there), replaced the bobbin and upper thread, tried a different presser foot, and raised and lowered the feed dogs several times to make sure that was working. I don't want to have to take it to the doctor because the nearest place is 40 miles away and I only paid $140 for the machine 5 years ago through Amazon. What else can I do?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:49 AM

I know you said you cleaned out the lint BUT make sure you take a little brush and clean every little crevice you can find. Brush gently, being very careful not to push any lint farther into the area. Even the tiniest piece of thread, can cause a machine to be sluggish.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

is it possible that there is a piece of thread stuck in the bobbin tension spring?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if you have a little screw that fastens the feed dogs in but when my old singer feed dogs stopped advancing the fabric, I cut a little card stick gasket to go under the feed dogs and then put the screw back in. The feed dogs were a bit worn and putting them up a bit helped them to grab the fabric better.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I know you said you cleaned it, but just double check that you have cleaned around the feed dogs really well. Usually, there's a plate you can unscrew and access all around the feed dogs. I would make sure that you have cleaned their 'teeth', on each side and if you can, underneath them. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with your machine, but most DSM need to go in for a yearly maintenance just like a car. I would check around for references from friends because there can be a difference in the price you pay.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Why are we more willing to spend maintenance money on a machine that we spent a lot on and so reluctant to do so for a machine that we did not pay much for?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Why are we more willing to spend maintenance money on a machine that we spent a lot on and so reluctant to do so for a machine that we did not pay much for?
Maybe because, after 2 maintenance visits, you could buy a NEW cheap machine!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:27 AM

I have the same machine as you and was having the same issue. I cleaned everything several times and it still ate the fabric like it was starving. I had called to see what the cost would be on taking it in for maintenance and they wanted $90.00 for a $140 machine.

I realized I had been using alot of starch in the project I had been working on and wondered if it had built up on the feed dogs. I cleaned them with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol and that took care of the problem for me.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:43 AM

Ok.....I took everything apart last night. Saw a video on You Tube. Bobbin cover off, large plastic piece slid off, bobbin holder popped right out, took coins to unscrew the two screws holding the metal plate. Took off needle, took off presser foot holder. Totally open. Took brush to inside and scooped out even more lint (between the two cleanings I think there was enough lint to stuff a small toy) took alcohol on q-tip to feed dogs and wiped them down. Put everything back on, even a new needle, a different bobbin of thread, and a different spool of thread. Now it feels tight when I manually move the needle, like it doesn't want to go. I haven't tried sewing yet because it is so tight feeling. Very frustrating!