Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!  Need ideas for a baby boy quilt. >

HELP! Need ideas for a baby boy quilt.

HELP! Need ideas for a baby boy quilt.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 PM

I just bought some boy fabrics to make a baby quilt for a classmate and I am planning on doing a tumbler pattern.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 PM

A big block quilt would be fast. You just supersize a block that you like. Add one or two borders and you are done.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 PM
QM
Power Poster

IMHO, the idea for a baby quilt is to use some of the great novelty fabrics, especially those with large scale patterns, and use large scale blocks. This is one of my favorites. It's QAYG and very fast.
Attached Thumbnails fast-fishy-qayg.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 AM

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS! I had such a mental block and your ideas just sort of opened the door so I can go and explore!

I love this board!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Darling quilts everyone.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 AM

There are a few books by the author Ursula Reikes, the first is Quilts for baby and I think that the second one is More Quilts for Baby and the third might be Even More Quilts for Baby. If you make many baby quilts, any one of these is filled with excellent patterns. Some are on the small side but are easy to make bigger. I seriously have almost worn mine out. They have at least 10-12 good patterns in each book. Worth the money for sure.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 AM

There's a wonderful little boy fabric with cars and car track on a panel.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM

am giving you my fave as so many people have asked me to make it for them or other friends after seeing one.... i ask the family for a blue shirt from any/everyone...if there are enough guys...great, just get blue shirts from the little boys and men. now cut out a bowtie (i use the 3D bow tie from youtube demo), 5 squares, 3 seams...

If I have enough shirts, I just do one from each shirt... you don't have to mark or keep track, the guys will all remember which old blue shirt was theirs. You will have lots to choose from, even the boys' shirts that are outgrown...it's all good. There are many areas that are good even on old shirts and contributing to a new baby boy's quilt really makes them 'involved'...I have seen many a teen or grumpy relative turn to mush when pointing out his 'square' in the new baby's quilt. If I don't have tons of blue shirts, I include the women in the family or cut 2 or three squares from each shirt. I prefer doing only the boys and men in the family just because.....

If you are short on squares, do them as alternate blocks with plain blocks in between... In addition, you now have the family's shirts all collected....keep them together and mark with family name... there will be other babies from this family and you will be all set. Everyone has blue striped, plaid, or print or solid shirts... it's an easy collection to get usually... and I have loved having it as a special gift for every little boy I ever gave it to or taught someone else to give it to... My last lesson was to a church group and one of the grandmothers met me in the grocery store a couple of months later and had already gifted one and was making two others from the same shirts... she was thrilled and the new moms-to-be were already anxious to get theirs... try it.... you will enjoy making the simple block, your supplies will last for a long time, (each bowtie only uses 3 squares from your shirt print [the other 2 are background]) and it is as personal as you can get for a gift.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:52 PM
QM
Power Poster

Deemail, I love that pattern too. I use it with crumbs.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 PM

what I have done is simple to complicated just depends on your level and how detailed you want it. as well as how much time you think you have. I have done all sort of patterns. One that I think is cool is the 10 min block that only has three seams and when you are done it looks a bit like a cathedral window. and I have done dnp. I have also done a hidden wells. I will post pics of some of the baby quilts that I have done. you can change the fabrics i used for boyish prints or colors too. you can also use minky fabrics and flannel and satin bindings to make it really soft and special. if you need links to the patterns or the names let me know I can get them for you, good luck post what you decide to do.
Attached Thumbnails imag0443.jpg   quilts-sale-001.jpg   imag0446.jpg   jason-blanket-pics-002.jpg