Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help needed for quilting design for star quilt

Help needed for quilting design for star quilt

Good Morning. I'm sure hoping for some help. I've done all the foundation quilting, stitching in the ditch and 1/4 inch on the inside of the white background areas. (My picture is before stitching 1/4 inch inside the white background area.)

This is a king size quilt that I'm doing on my domestic machine.

Now - what design do you suggest for the background between the stars? Diagonal lines? Feathers? (Would feathers even look good on a quilt with all these angles and straight lines?) Or ???

Thanks in advance. It is really so nice to have a place to come to for help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda

Beautiful quilt. I would suggest since you have so many points on the stars how about something circular design in the background fabrics. Just a personal opinion and I am sure you will get tons of ideas from all of these wonderful members on this board. Please share a picture when you decide.

I think feathers would look terrific in the white spaces. Since it is a King and you are using your domestic, I would consider those two very important factors in deciding how complex a motif to do. I go simple when quilting a king.

Power Poster
    Lovely top! You might find some good background secondary patterns but looking at Angela Walter or Judi Mardsen (sp) sites.

Very pretty quilt. I'm no help with the quilting. I mostly do a large meander on my quilts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I think a diagonal crosshatch would look good there if you are doing something more elaborate in the Stars.

Blog Entries
    I think feathers would be a wonderful addition but it depends on how comfortable you are moving your king size quilt under your DSM...I know I couldn’t do it. I also like Wesing’s idea of crosshatch. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Depends on how skilllful you are with FMQ. I'm awful at it so use my walking foot most of the time. I would do several rows of echo quilting through the light sections and then do some slight curves inside the stars.

Love the quilt. I think feathers would be great, but if you want the stars to pop a meander would be nice to. Would
    you mind sharing the pattern name? I would love to do this one. I like to do different star patterns.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-16-2019 at 03:05 AM. Reason: per member

What about the “crosshatch” type of lines like in the border fabric. You can still use more curvy design inside the star block to soften the look as was mentioned before. Quilt looks very nice.

PS on relooking, I like the lines within the yellow of the stars. :-)
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 05-16-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: PS

Blog Entries
    Please post a picture of your finished quilt and what is the name of the pattern. So neat.

The quilt is a Meadow Mist Design - Midnight Mystery. https://meadowmistdesigns.blogspot.c...ery-quilt.html

Cheryl did such a great job on this mystery. It was so fun. We had no clue what the finished quilt would look like. We were wondering and guessing the whole time until the final clue. I made the quilt and love it. I'm going to give this to my youngest daughter on her wedding day, August 19. 2019.

I do feel comfortable doing any type of quilting (feathers etc) on my domestic - because I'm too dumb to know I shouldn't. Hahaha Also I heard Cindy Seitz-Krug say "you only have to worry about the 6 to 9 inches of quilt under your needle". She does amazing quilting on a domestic machine. https://www.quintessentialquilting.com/about-cindy.html
    Linda

Oops - I forgot to say the pattern is free.
    Linda

Thanks for the info. No longer is the pattern free. $10.00 in her etsy shop.

Your quilt is a beauty!
    For quilting, you could "test drive" different designs by drawing them onto a sheet protector made for binders or a mylar sheet or something like that that you can see through.... just to see what you like best. You could even try out a combination of 2 or more designs you like. Whatever you decide, it will look amazing!

I've had the good fortune to take several machine quilting design classes with Cindy Needham. SHe has some craftsy classes too. She suggested that if the piecing is geometric we use curvy, circular quilting designs on the quilt to add more interest. The feathers would fit in beautifully.

Blog Entries
    I love your quilt, colors and scale really work well with this pattern. I'm thinking either pebbles to make those stars pop or feathers. Feathers will create a softer quilt than the pebbles or any meander will. I personally love feathers, but due to the smaller width, I would do a one sided feather on the white. Look up Angela Walters.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.