Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Needed For Quilting Design!!! >

Help Needed For Quilting Design!!!

Help Needed For Quilting Design!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 AM

Default Help Needed For Quilting Design!!!

I've got this lap quilt I'm making for my mom. It's a kinda log cabin with a Celtic square going on where the 12 1/2" squares join. Strips are 1 3/4" wide. I have no clue on how to quilt it. I'm going to be hand quilting it.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Lee
Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Do you have a picture of the quilt you are doing-that helps us out. Sounds like the Wedding Knot or True Lover's Knot
If so, on Craftsy the quilt was done with a leaf design. When I am not sure what quilt pattern to use, loose meandering wins out or if the fabrics have a theme I take the idea from there.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 AM

Unfortunately, DH (who's on the you-know-what list) lost my camera. He's been "looking for it" for about 3 months!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Pictures are best when it comes to working with a quilt and figuring out how you want to quilt it. You can put the picture of either a block or the whole quilt on your computer, print it out and then put a plastic sheet protector over it and use a wipe away pen and play around with designs.

I think it's time for DH to buy you a new camera. It doesn't count as a 'gift' either just as a replacement for what he lost.

ali
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM

I think your DH is on the SHe-cant-say-enough-about-IT list isn't he? Good luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:24 AM

A log cabin that I recently made, I hand quilted with varying size stars somewhat randomly placed all over the quilt. I wanted the recipient to know that I thought he was a 'star' in my book! Personally I think you can do whatever kind of design suits your taste or might be significant to you or the recipient. The biggest dictate is what your batting requires. SITD is painful for handquilting. Echo quilting (about 1/4" from seam on either side) is far easier. I'm sure it will be awesome no matter what you decide.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Traditionally log cabins were often quilted in the Baptist fan pattern. If you will google "images of Baptist Fan handquilting" many suggestions will come up.

Hope to see your finished quilt!

Jan in VA
Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 AM

I checked out a book at my local library called 1000 Great Quilting Designs. I love this book. It's out of print now but I am keeping an eye on Ebay and Amazon, both seem to have a good supply of the book so I'm hoping that maybe the Christmas tree will have a book under it for me (I have learned to not buy things this time of the year so that family can have some options.. .it's either that or I get a skein of yarn from each of the kids and something I don't want from my husband...)

The book has lots of different designs for different shaped blocks/areas. Even if I don't like the styles given, it helps spark the creativity

There are some other books on the market like that one - there's a 500 quilting designs book that I saw at Joanns the last time I was there but I liked the 1000 better for some reason. The 500 designs book was interesting that it showed a motif and then showed how to adjust it for rows, triangles, corners, etc... that was really cool too
Hmmm... I think I need to add that one to my Amazon wish list as well....

Maybe your local library has one of those books so that you could look through it and see if it works for you.
You can then get a piece of plexiglass (from a Lowes or Home Depot type of store) and using a dry erase marker you can lay the plexiglass on top of the quilt and draw the motif on it to see if you like the way it will look quilted up