Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Needed! >

Help Needed!

Help Needed!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Rebecca,
I don't know anything about the machine. I don't have one. Just want you to be very careful. Don't go alone. AND, remember, if a deal is too good to be true, it usually isn't. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
I don't want to be negative. I'm just old enough to know.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Rebecca,
I don't know anything about the machine. I don't have one. Just want you to be very careful. Don't go alone. AND, remember, if a deal is too good to be true, it usually isn't. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
I don't want to be negative. I'm just old enough to know.
Thanks Kathy. I will be going with my husband and our children, so I won't be alone. Good to remember about a good deal being worth looking into! I called the dealer she told me she bought it from, they remember selling it to her, and told me that they would take care of me (teaching me the machine and servicing it if any problems come up). I'm going to definitely be thorough in my checking when I test drive the machine tonight.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Okay. Glad you did all your homework and got the bases covered by taking your husband and kids. Hope it is just want you want and you can enjoy it. Nothing better than a nice machine and a good deal.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I would say TEST TEST TEST. My best machine turned out to be a Babylock and the Janomes simply did not work with me/for me. It is like buying a car. Some look good on paper and when you test drive you realize that it is not the make and model for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Good Luck, if the dealer is willing to work with you, that's great!! Having a local dealer to service it for you is invaluable. have fun.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vintage Bicycle
[
I called Janome yesterday and they told me that none of their warranties transfer to a second owner... :?: Would you buy a machine that was no longer under warranty???
I would be very hesitant ... have you gone to the dealer and price checked?

If the machine is so new and she realizes she bought the wrong machine, I'd wonder why she didn't deal with the dealer as a trade?

When I bought my Janome, they offered a FULL $ back if I traded it within the first year. One of the enticements as to why I dealt with them ... though they had a strong enough reputation that I would have still bought from them.

I'm always cautious buying 2nd hand (sewing machines and other things too)! usually the drop in $$ isn't enough to woo me, and would sooner pay that bit more for more security. Just me!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Vintage Bicycle
I called Janome yesterday and they told me that none of their warranties transfer to a second owner... :?: Would you buy a machine that was no longer under warranty???
I would be very hesitant ... have you gone to the dealer and price checked?

If the machine is so new and she realizes she bought the wrong machine, I'd wonder why she didn't deal with the dealer as a trade?

When I bought my Janome, they offered a FULL $ back if I traded it within the first year. One of the enticements as to why I dealt with them ... though they had a strong enough reputation that I would have still bought from them.

I'm always cautious buying 2nd hand (sewing machines and other things too)! usually the drop in $$ isn't enough to woo me, and would sooner pay that bit more for more security. Just me!
Thanks for your thoughts here. I'm not sure why she wouldn't deal with the dealer she bought the machine from in order to trade it in. Perhaps they didn't carry the type of machine she is going to need for her frame when she eventually gets one? The price I'd be able to get this machine for is roughly $1000 less than the lowest quote I've been able to get from dealers for a new 7700. I also called the dealer she bought the machine from, explained my situation and the owner (who remembered her buying the machine 3 weeks ago) told me that while technically the Janome warranty wasn't valid for a 2nd owner, they'd take care of me in terms of teaching me the machine and working with me should any problems arise with the machine.

If I find no problems with it during my test drive tonight and like how it feels, I'm thinking I will probably go ahead and buy it... especially since I've got a resource in the dealer she used.

Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

From what you have said, I do not think you have met this dealer face to face. I'd at least want to see them IRL to know I feel comfortable with their offer. I truly believe talk is cheap ... til you have to call on them!

Will they put it in writing?

Yes, call me skeptical .... though the large cut in price by the seller, does add a red flag for me. I've said my piece ... and now I'll back out of the thread!

Good Luck .... I hope you get the deal and machine you will be most happy with!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 AM

Just bought the Janome 7700. If you decide to buy make sure you have the directional DVD. Very helpful. Haven't had any lessons yet, the store owner is on a cruise, but will take them when she returns.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:07 AM

if the price is right, I would go for it. I did a test drive on the Horizon at a craft fair, it is a beautiful machine. I would have bought it but I just got my Symphony which I also love